Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,182   Online: 808

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Sedona B&W photographers/Filters

I'm going to Sedona for a week at the end of march. I will be shooting 4x5 tmax 400. I usually use an orange filter to help darken the sky a bit. But I'm wandering if that would cause the redrock to be become a bit washed out if it is being hit with strong sunlight. So I was considering using a green filter instead. I know the effect on the sky would not be as great as the orange but would help a bit. I also know the best way to find out is to do some tests but since this is a visit I'm not going to be able to do that in advance. So I'm asking any B&W photographers from the area what they would recommend. Thanks.
    Rich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could try yellow if you are afraid of washing out the rocks, but still want to darken blue skies.

I think the rocks will look great with an orange filter, though.

89A is a beautiful road. Enjoy yourself.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bring more film and shoot some scenes multiple times with yellow, orange, red and green filters. Then report back to us. Keep Kodak, Ilford and Fuji Green!

I use Porta UC and Portra VC for red rock while my stash lasts.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Will be there myself in a week. No LF, (unless I can rig up some sort of 4x5 pinhole) but definitely plans for lots of desert and rocks in front of my lens. If you want sunset shots over Sedona, you will find yourself with lots of company.

Have fun, yellow or orange will not disappoint.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin