Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,434   Online: 811
      
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59
  1. #11
    Athiril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,499
    Images
    28
    Yeah VueScan is terrible. Scanning isn't discussed here, but your issue is colour balance, some as it would be on an enlarger.

    C<->R, M<->G, Y<->B balance is what you need to alter.

    You need to use these to balance, I'd suggest using Epson Scan over VueScan (which clips film no matter what you do unless you use Kodak Internegative profile.. ridiculous)
    Last edited by Athiril; 05-05-2011 at 02:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  2. #12
    Athiril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,499
    Images
    28
    I don't know what the original scene looked like or what your preference for colour balance is (since one has to be set), but I suspect it might be something like this:

  3. #13
    polyglot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,226
    Images
    12
    Nothing wrong with vuescan except that it's a complete bitch to use; it will only clip if you do something wrong, which is admittedly too easy. However it's 10x better than any bundled scan software I've ever seen.

    Select "Lock Image Colour" once you've set the film base colour and re-previewed, that will give you the separate sliders. I find you want the B&W points for blue to be a bit further right than for R/G when doing Ektar. I also find it much harder to get accurate/neutral colour from Ektar than any of the Portras.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3
    Really good article about Ektar can be found from http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subsc...tar%20100.html. According to that article and few rolls I have shot I think original shots might have been bit overexposed. I would rate next roll something like ISO 64 and check if results are any better.

  5. #15
    tomalophicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Canberra, ACT.
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Posts
    1,562
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by T0MA View Post
    Really good article about Ektar can be found from http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subsc...tar%20100.html. According to that article and few rolls I have shot I think original shots might have been bit overexposed. I would rate next roll something like ISO 64 and check if results are any better.
    Wouldn't that be over-exposing even more? Assuming he shot rated at 100 that is.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Wouldn't that be over-exposing even more? Assuming he shot rated at 100 that is.
    Good point

    So maybe 125 or even 160 then. I remember having trouble scanning some shots I took with Ektar and then found that article that explained quite a lot. I don't have currently results or notes with me so can't tell which way I exactly went. There are also other good articles about Ektar so I would suggest searching and reading those and then try yourself. Maybe bracketing few shots and see how you can get best results.

  7. #17
    Athiril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,499
    Images
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Nothing wrong with vuescan except that it's a complete bitch to use; it will only clip if you do something wrong, which is admittedly too easy. However it's 10x better than any bundled scan software I've ever seen.

    Select "Lock Image Colour" once you've set the film base colour and re-previewed, that will give you the separate sliders. I find you want the B&W points for blue to be a bit further right than for R/G when doing Ektar. I also find it much harder to get accurate/neutral colour from Ektar than any of the Portras.
    It will always clip certain negs unless you use Kodak Interneg profile. Always. With nothing you can do about it. Though that's not discussion for here.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14
    Been too late at home yesterday, so today i will set up experiment with vuescan/epson scan and this film and present you with results!
    As i understand now, Ektar giving you super vivid color which maybe good for flowers or smth. like this.
    Normally i always use Kodak Ektacolor Pro 160 - the best film i found until now and there were no troubles lilke this.

  9. #19
    hpulley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,214
    Images
    75
    I have no problem RA-4 printing or scanning Ektar. The film is quite sensitive and if you over-expose it, the negatives will get dense but no color shift, just a change in contrast if you under or over expose and/or develop. It is a saturated, contrasty film but in a good way. I've used it on people indoors and out, street scenes, landscapes and it seems to work well. I'm still comparing it to Portra 160 and Fuji Reala to see what I prefer. It seems that Reala goes a bit pastel with overexposure while Ektar stays contrasty but blocks up. The Ektar gives you more control while the Reala seems to bit more forgiving of exposure errors. Portra 160 is good stuff and quite versatile. All are quite scannable and printable but often need little color corrections on the filter pack, dichroic head or scanner.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

    Happiness is...

  10. #20
    Athiril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,499
    Images
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by babaluma View Post
    Been too late at home yesterday, so today i will set up experiment with vuescan/epson scan and this film and present you with results!
    As i understand now, Ektar giving you super vivid color which maybe good for flowers or smth. like this.
    Normally i always use Kodak Ektacolor Pro 160 - the best film i found until now and there were no troubles lilke this.
    You didn't post anything?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin