Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,559   Posts: 1,573,291   Online: 949

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went through this and even sent my negatives to Kodak to see if there was a problem.

Conclusion, my scanner sucks, and the best way to get proper colors from Ektar is to have them PRINTED or scanned by an actual professional scanner. And NO Vuescan won't cut it.

Kodak sent me back an optical print that they made from my negative that had scanned like crap and it had outstanding color.

Sorry to say this, but the best way to get great prints from Ektar is to pay someone to provide you with prints, or make them yourself.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Optical RA-4 prints are the best, IMO. Good/bad thing is you probably have to do it yourself but I'm glad to be doing it myself. Not many labs around here still doing optical prints, almost all have gone scan and print so they can combine the workflow with digital sadly.

If you don't like warm results, print to Fuji Crystal Archive, much cooler results than Kodak Paper in my experience so far though old Supra Endura was fairly neutral.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just using the "I'm feeling lucky" button in Picasa gave me this.

I have a feeling this is what you are looking for.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Conclusion, my scanner sucks, and the best way to get proper colors from Ektar is to have them PRINTED or scanned by an actual professional scanner. And NO Vuescan won't cut it.
    I have a little experience with the film, and it was very hard to get decent colors with conventional scanning software. There's nothing wrong with your scanner, of course. I advise you to get raw scans from VueScan and then invert them in PS using Curves or ColorNeg.

There are problems with the film after all. Or maybe just features. Color of pale sky usually shifts to cyan. There is blue cast in shadows (I must admit that sometimes it does look great). The blue cast is severe in case of underexposure, so you may try to underrate it a bit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's very easy actually to get good colours. Do not use VueScan, it's a joke. Dumb film profiles and a load of pointlessly convoluted controls. All you need to do is hit the colour balance option in Epson Scan or whatever basic scanning package.

Colour balance fixes any perceived problems with sky and shadows too, it only takes 30sec - 1min. Though we should stop talking about this here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Colour balance fixes any perceived problems with sky and shadows too, it only takes 30sec - 1min. Though we should stop talking about this here.
    I'm afraid it does not. Any "simple" color correction, using color correction filters or digital controls will not make Ektar look realistic in some cases. Anyway, the OP's problem is a different one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the reds.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had great results scanning Ektar negatives. You just have to manually adjust your levels and curves if you want good results, you can't rely on the automatic scanning features as they're almost never right.

Shooter
    35mm
    This highlights the 2 major flaws with Ektar - it goes blue/cyan very easily, and more importantly, it is very diffifult to scan with even close to correct colors on consumer scanners. My first experience with Ektar, shortly afetr it came out, were some Fall portraits of my kids on a pumpkin wagon. Shot under overcast skies, the resulting scans had horrendously blue tinted results. it was shocking, made Provia seem like it was E100GX ! Anyways, impossible to get good results on my high end Minolta 5400 I scanner. However, the $25,000 Noritsu at the lab was able to scan with decent colors - most likely they had professional correction curves for this very finicky film. On the positive side, I will say it does fantastic sunsets - almost as good as slide film does.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin