Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,576   Posts: 1,545,711   Online: 785

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre-Exposure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    ... My original question to Ralph has to do with why VC paper would not benefit from pre-exposing film, but graded paper would. I don't understand the reasoning yet... I'm sure Ralph will illuminate things for me. ...
    The combination of pre-exposue and VC paper makes little sense, because the reduced shadow contrast of the negative requires a harder grade of paper, which pushes most shadow detail onto very low print values. It makes the whole print too dark. You'll find a detailed description here:

http://www.waybeyondmonochrome.com/W...xposureEd2.pdf
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Doremus,
    Right you are with the sums and the "reduced contrast in shadows".

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ralph,

Thanks for the reply and the chapter from your book. Very comprehensive treatment and quite generous of you to share with us all.

I guess you were suggesting that pre-exposure is valid for users of graded paper who do not tailor each negative to their paper with development methods and controls, i.e., for roll film users who can use pre-exposure to decrease overall contrast of a particular negative since graded papers now have a rather limited contrast range.

For a graded paper and a VC paper set to the same contrast (assuming for sake of comparison that the curves are the same too), however, I still can't see how a print of a pre-exposed negative will be different on the VC than on the graded paper... Both should exhibit the same response.

Usually, for me, I prefer to sacrifice highlight separation rather than shadow separation, and place and develop accordingly. However, your comments about lens flare in older photographs has got me thinking. I may try some pre-exposure to lift the shadows a bit in some scenes and see how I like it.

Of course, there's always the burning and dodging dance that we all do when we want maximum local contrast and the neg is just a bit too long for the paper.

Thanks again,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin