Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,581,989   Online: 837

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mingaun View Post
    Metering from the palm seems like a good method. All i need to do is just point the reflected meter on my palm and make sure no shadow falls on it. I am a fair Chinese man and does that mean i still need to open 1 stop?
    Well, you meter your palm making sure it is in the same light condition as, let's say, the face of your children. So if the scene is backlit, and you are going to take a picture of the "shaded" face of your kids, equally your palm must be backlit and in shade. You will then open 1 stop more.

You should use the light meter in reflected mode near enough to your hand so that it only reads your hand. Your Gossen light meter should have written on it the angle of view it measures (It's a small "V" with a number such as 20°near it). If you don't find it, look in the instruction manual to see which is the measuring angle in reflected light mode.

Generally speaking when using a light meter one should be careful not to project a shadow (with the hand, or with the body) on the thing measured. In this case we assume the sun is somehow in front of you so there is not this particular risk.

If you don't want to disappoint your family, I'd avoid backlit situation. "Put the sun" at your shoulder, you'll have much more light and you'll be able to use a much closer aperture so as to be sure to have running children in focus.

If the sand is bright and the sun is high you can probably use, with ISO 100, 1/125@16 or even 1/250@16. That should be enough to "zone focus" and only concentrate on the subject.

Beware of the sand and of salted water, that's VERY bad for any equipment. The seaside is exactly the place where I would bring a disposable camera and be relaxed.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks Fabrizio. You have given me a lot of food for thought. Appreciate all your help.

Will keep in mind the sand and salt water.... something new to worry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep in mind that your meter interprets everything it sees as 18% grey. So, if you point it to something that you'd like to have at about that value, be it the sky, your palm, the sand, some rocks, you'll be close to what you need. Bracket a stop or two from there, and see what you like when you get the film back.
    Since you're in a learning mode, keep things simple while you're shooting.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Good advice bdial. I will try to keep things as simple as i can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great picture. Really like it. If i gather correctly the only way i can meter your method is with a spot meter which at the moment i dont have. But thanks for the advice.
    Thanks Minguan; If you don't have a spot meter then you should follow the advice of measuring reflctive light of your palm or even the ground and close one or two stops from there. I think you will get a fair image of sunset or sunrise.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Images
    In my gallery "Winter Sunset" was metered by holding the meter above my head.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    But which way was it looking? I assume vertically.

EDIT: I have just looked at the picture. I would say that you got the perfect exposure.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Images
    Yep. Dome straight up. This was in fact a fluke. I could not decide which way to meter or what to meter for so I just held it up in the air. Kind of a Hail Mary Pass. Been using it ever since for sunset shots. Don't get up for sunrise shots these days.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thats perfect exposure. I will definitely be giving this method a try. Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yep. Dome straight up.
    O.K. That's two people who used this method (you and my father). I think I will give it a go.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin