Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,646   Online: 691

Shooter
    Multi Format

Incident Metering: Street Photography

Scenario: Street Photography
    ======================

How much compensation you will set to the camera when meter reads

Under Sunlight: F8.0 1/500s.

Under Shadow: F8.0 1/30s or 1/60s.

so to keep the shadow detail?
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd walk around with the camera set to f/8, 1/125s and then adjust on the fly depending on where the subject is and what the environment is like. Then again, that's just me.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    I wouldn't use the meter at all. By now you should know that sharp shadows are about 3-4 stops down from sunny-16. If you subject is in the shadows, expose accordingly. If they are in the sun, expose accordingly. If you just want to be able to walk around with one exposure setting, set the exposure for the shadows and prepare for some dense highlights for subjects that are in the sun.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are using negative film and you don't want to consider exposure for every single frame (because you anticipate you will have no time) I would use f/8 @ 1/125 (or f/6.7 @ 1/125) and rely on the dynamic range of negative film, which is more extended in the highlights.

So if your interval is 3 stop, you set your camera at 1 stop above the shadows. If you interval is 4 stops, you set your camera at 1.5 stops above the shadows.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Scenario: Street Photography
    ======================

How much compensation you will set to the camera when meter reads

Under Sunlight: F8.0 1/500s.

Under Shadow: F8.0 1/30s or 1/60s.

so to keep the shadow detail?
    If you are after 1 walkabout setting, you could use the duplex method.

Retract the dome so you get flat face readings.

One reading pointed straight at the source, yes in this case really straight at the sun.

The second reading is normally done pointed at the camera, do this one in the shade.

If the readings are as you say f/8 @ 500 And f/8 @ 60 you split the difference in stops. So if you adjust time you would try to get to about 1/180 (which is 1/125 and 1/2) or If you adjust f-stop f/4.5 (f/4 and 1/2).

This splits your losses evenly between highlight and shadow.

Give it a try on an experimental roll. If the shadows are good you are set to go, if you loose too much at one end or the other in a print adjust your EI.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin