Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,096   Online: 1117

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well now, if ya hadn't spent the $$ for the concrete pad and 12x12 out-building in the backyard with the ventilator, garden hose fed sink with drain attachment to a large roll away motor home septic tank, etc. paying for all that dual time...

Best bet in your situation if you have the exterior space is to acquire and old (you can find them free) travel trailer. Gut it down like a mobile office trailer and put counters and cabinets in as needed. Most will have the plumbing for hose hookup, septic holding tank and electric.

If ya do it right, it can even remain mobile so you can take the darkroom with you on weekends to the mountains or ???
    Imitation cameras come with big egos, real cameras do not include accessories.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Giggle, JD you crack me up! ) I have 4 old tin sheds out the backyard (not there's a thought) but in summer they can get beyond 50+ degrees celcius inside and not spider-proof either (eeek!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bury 'em below ground and dig a tunnel to your bathroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, 'scuse me.... I meant tunnel to your 'water closet'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's no 'water closet' in my place JD! Australian's definitely have bathrooms. Bury 'em is definitely on my agenda - but my hubby likes them too much. You know, tools and stuff. How many sheds does one man need?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once you get everything in order you will be amazed how easy it is.

Don't worry too much about the FAR/AIM (Film Agitation Regulations/Analog Information Manual) for now.

Since you already have an FBT (Flying Blind Ticket), the procedures should come easy to you. While we don't really have any published SIDs, STARs or Controlled Dark Airspace, some basic procedures apply.

Take-off and climb out is IMC with total electrical failure in darkness. No foggles, no partial panel, no flashlights taped to your leather cap, etc. As long as you stand still or are seated, vertigo should not be a factor -- no strobes. Ditch the silk scarf.

The good news is that the enroute, holding pattern, approach and landing are all done VMC! Although there are a couple mandatory checkpoints along the way, there is nobody to report it to -- shout your ETAs all you want, nobody gives a hoot -- you can still key the mic too if it makes you feel better but not on take-off -- ya might activate the lights! There are some published holding patterns and approaches, but you are free to devise your own as you see fit.

Just remember...
    Always file a Film Plan and test your ELT before entering DARK AIRSPACE -- many have gotten lost in there!

Boy after reading all of this about alternative darkrooms, I am feeling even more spoiled about my 1000sqft darkroom, built in my back yard. Everything I need, including the spiders, but I found when I moved from the industrial park I was at, that when the doors where all opened and lights all on, I had spiders there too and just never saw them. So I am guessing/hoping it shouldn't matter too much here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Giggle JD, you have to take up writing or you'll miss your true talent in life!!! I love reading your bits. Never knew there was so much in common between flying and darkrooms - should fit like a glove then, huh!
    Inthedark - you are doing very well! Still not sure about the spiders. I'm a total arachnophobic (and can't even spell the word - don't want to know) How does a large can of Mortein fair amongst all the chemicals?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin