Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,862   Online: 967

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Convert: Digital to Film

Hi everyone

I am a convert, going from digital back to film - digital just doesn't compete unless you spend lots of 1000's $$$ every year to keep up with technology, and even then it's a big DUNNO!
    I have invested in a Nikon F90X 35mm (love the viewfinder!) and a Hasselblad 500c/m (oldies but goodies).

The Hassie is my first medium format. :|

Any tips and tricks on how best to shoot in film with either camera would be soooo much appreciated. I mostly shoot fine art and contemporary portraits (on location not studio) and love B&W but shoot in colour 'only' if necessary.

Thanks very much and kind regards
    Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi and welcome. I think you'll find volumes of information among the threads here that should help you undertake your new direction with success. Best wishes for a happy and seamless immersion into the world of traditional photography.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    welcome to APUG, i also use a 500cm, its a beautiful camera.
    What do you need to know, the manual is online here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the Hassy, I'd recomend you get the Hasselblad Manual by Ernst Wildi.

You'll also find some helpful pointers on The Hasselblad User Forum

Welcome to APUG.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from Ipswich, Massachusetts, USA, as well... from another enraptured Hasselblad user.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello again Nicole, Fire away the questions and there's going to be plenty of people ready and able to supply the answers

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have been using hasselblads for years. Great cameras. Learn to use the square format, If you like shooting portaits you will love this camera. Just beware they do not take a beating very well.
    georgeg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Nicole, and welcome. Judging by the pictures you have posted in the gallery, you're not doing so bad!

What kind of 'tips and tricks' are you looking for?

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WOW, thank you all for such a warm welcome!

OK, my first big mistake: I took my F90X (still working through the manual) to a shoot and forgot to change the ISO settings (eeek!) Film B&W TMax 400 but forgot ISO setting was at 1600. Now that could produce some 'artistic' results but in this case not a good thing. I was with another photographer who insisted I shoot in "P" mode (I always shoot on manual and so was thrown off balance here). I raised my concern - but didn't check the ISO. Silly me assumed in 'P' mode everything would be automatic, including ISO settings. I went along with this person's experience, since he has alot more than me. Now I'm panicking over the results that I won't get until next week from the lab.

Well, first experience back in film and certainly have learnt a lesson. Don't rely on others, always do your own checking - and no matter how experienced the other may be - pipe up!!! And... get to know your equipment!!! Stuff everyone knows of course

I might have to return to flying!!! (I studied for my commercial pilot licence with aerobatics and formation flying, before I got bored with it as it was not creative enough! So I got lost in the business world for a few years not knowing what to do before discovering my passion for photography Flying around Papua New Guinea was the most exciting part - should have had a camera back then!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you still have time, you could call the lab and see if they can push and pull film. Ask them to push your film 2 stops, your shots might be a little grainier, but it's better than getting back negs that are 2 stops underexposed! -Grant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin