Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,589   Online: 1106

Shooter
    35mm

Multiple exposure

I want to do some multi exposures with 35mm color film - two overlapping images. I want one exposure to be more prominant than the other. I've never I've tried multiple exposures before - I just happened to come up with an idea while headed to an appointment today.

I'm not sure if this would be easier with print film or slide film - or about the same for both.

How do I figure the exposure for what I want - one exposure being lighter (more ?opaque?) and the other being more clear? Would it be better to do this lighter first, dark second, or the other way around, or it doesn't really matter?

Am I just having grand dreams - can it be done the way I'd like to do it? Is this pointless to even try when I have to rely on a lab to do the processing?

All advice is appreciated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Typically for multiple exposures with equal exposures for each exposure one divides the total exposure by the number of individual exposures to arrive at the exposure for the individual exposures...It isn't as convoluted as what I have just written...For instance, double exposure where the correct exposure is F16 at 1/60 sec each individual exposure would be F 16 at 1/125 second.

In your case I would make my predominant exposure the first exposure and the lighter exposure the second exposure. In the example above I would expose the first exposure at f11 at 1/125 second and the second exposure at F16 1/250 second. This would give you an approximate 2/3 darker exposure -1/3 lighter exposure relationship.

I would plan on using negative film as opposed to transparency film since negative film has broader exposure latitude.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are not color, but I have two multi exposure pictures in my personal gallery. The one of the rose has many many images sandwiched on it. To have one more prominant than the other you need to shoot the last one against a darker image that preceded it. For a lighter more airy image overlaying it, like with the wagon wheel, it needs to be against a lighter background. As to exposure, I didn't know what the heck I was doing, and shot them all at one stop less than what the normal exposure would have been. The rose was a totaly goof. I didn't know I had the multi image button pushed until I began to wonder when a 15 image roll would run out. I had shot over 30 by that time. I have others that I played with placing certain elements in various quadrants of the image frame. It gives the illusion of just one image that runs into something else. Good luck with the experiments. It is fun to see what develops. (pun intended)
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you both for the input. I'll hopefully be trying this out this weekend.

Aggie - I've seen yours and they are stunning.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin