Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,487   Online: 1043

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you everyone! It is amazing how helpful everyone is. I am looking forward to continue learning from each and everyone of you! I will spend the evening reading through the recommended links and see that I get some of the books ordered.

Dennis
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And Bryan Peterson's _Understanding Exposure_ is a good read if you'd rather not be dealing with too technical a manual.

Steven

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I Recommend this book http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Exposu...=1-41,it's it's inexpensive, well illustrated and one of the most comprehensive and easy to understand books on the subject I've ever read.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    A little outdated where equipment is concerned, last edition 1981, but very sound on the fundamentals, and technical but readable. A British publication that didn't see wide distribution in the US. I'd recommend it as well. Don't know where rince is but Amazon USA used prices are highly inflated (near $60 and up), but Abe Books has some from US and UK dealers at reasonable prices.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...manual&x=0&y=0

Lee
    Starting at $5
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Mine is the 3rd edition, 1974. You are right on the equipment stuff being out of date but that's a minor issue. The concepts are what matters.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Interesting. Different results if you search on both authors' last names + book title in Amazon.com (US site). Thanks for the less expensive results.

I find Hick's Perfect Exposure descriptions of how to use an incident meter to be somewhat vague, inconsistent, and overly 'tweaked'. Incident metering usage is scattered across a few places in the book in only a few paragraphs, and he seems to be oversimplifying and recommending the 'duplex' incident metering technique with a hemispherical receptor in situations that Dunn and Wakefield (and the other books and professionals that I've worked with) find it to be no more effective than a single reading with the dome pointed at the camera. Then again, Hicks also argues for using two spot meter readings in conjunction with an incident meter reading to come up with the best possible exposure. I find that a bit over the top.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 07-29-2011 at 08:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Starting at $5
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Mine is the 3rd edition, 1974. You are right on the equipment stuff being out of date but that's a minor issue. The concepts are what matters.
    I've had this book for more than twenty five years Mark, I agree the equipment is out of date, but this the most comprehensive book on the subject I have ever seen, and is still my favourite.
    Ben

Svi

Shooter
    35mm
    I recently bought the already mentioned Perfect Exposure by Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz. You can get a very good idea of the book contents by visiting their site. Look into the Photo School section in rogerandfrances.com

A good starting point is the article Meters and Metering Basics in the Recent Articles section

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you everyone again. I while I was waiting for the ordered books to arrive, I found that there was even a pretty good explanation in Ansel Adam's 'The Negative' . One of those books I read years ago and forget to much of it again ...
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Meter, we don' need no stinkn meter. Sunny 16.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Meter, we don' need no stinkn meter. Sunny 16.
    Funny you should say that:

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

Surprisingly accurate once you learn what it is telling you or insert descriptions that make better sense in the users head.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin