Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,178   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Embarrassing confession: I have never used a grey card. Please don't laugh.

Hi guys
    I need to get a grey card in my life somehow - I'm not a novice, I just never got around to buying one and using it - because I want to move into LF and scanning more and it will be a nightmare trying to digitally print from negs without some kind of white balance control going on.

What's the best A. way to use a grey card for the purpose of shooting and scanning, then digitally outputting, and B. grey card to get?

I'm so ashamed not to have more knowledge on this, I've only ever understood the use of grey cards in theory and not ever actually put one to use in my work.
    Will it change my life ?
    Do I need one ?
    I am presuming Yes!

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never used a gray card in over 50 years of photography. I guess that I have another 50 years to learn, if I need to.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Holly

You don't need anything fancy, I use my hand held light meter and my hand. Gives me a skin tone, black, white, and grey.

Makes life easy for me with the color meter in the darkroom, makes life easy for my lab.

Kodak cards are available and work just fine.

If you want something fancier you might ask at a site that does digital.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I only have ever used a grey card to help seeing the subject in terms of grey shades. Whatever EV is indicated metering the grey card will give the same shade of grey in any area of the subject with a similar reading. But seldom have I even done that. Don't feel the need to use a grey card. Just work at exposure. And if a grey card fits your scheme then go for it.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one, but generally only use it nowdays for meter testing and comparisons. In situations where I might use a grey card for shooting I use an incident light meter reading, which more or less amounts to the same thing as a reflective reading off a grey card.

Way back when, I would include one in a test shot on color film so that the printer had a known target for determining the filter pack for the "real" shots.

As for it's use in a hybrid process, that's OT here, but I've never seen the need, especially for b&w.

They can be handy, but aren't essential for most purposes.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I found it useful to help me see a grey in the subject and then in the negative and print to start with, as a learning tool.
    Also it is useful for a reflective ttl surface to meter off of. say with a Horseman 4x5 meter.
    It can be a standard subject refective surface to help you understand the concepts.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I use an indecent light meter anywhere I would use a grey card. You might use out in a test shot for exposure, out would give you a good relative point to meter to, scan to, and print to. 18% grey is the same on all three.

B2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have always carried a gray card in my kit; almost never take it out.

I only shoot black&white now, so white balance is not a concern. I use incident readings for exposure.

You certainly can use a gray card for white balance. Just put it at a convenient place in the scene.

When used for exposure, the card should be angled midway between the light source and the camera.

That would also work for white balance, but the position is not critical.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 08-29-2011 at 12:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post

I'm so ashamed not to have more knowledge on this...
    So do you think we should shoot you at dawn? Or just flog you in the public square?

Sometimes I don't even use a meter.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    So do you think we should shoot you at dawn? Or just flog you in the public square?

Sometimes I don't even use a meter.
    A Few Hours In The Pillory, Should Be Sufficient ...

Ron

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin