Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,809   Online: 674

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pocket Light Meter for iPhone

Anyone out there using the "Pocket Light Meter" app for their iPhone? If so, how is it working for you? I have a great spot meter, however I almost always have my phone with me . . . Bill Barber

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have the Droid version and after I calibrated (it was off by about 2/3 a stop because I don't think they knew about the tinted glass) it has worked great. My ex uses it on her iPhone and it seems to be quite impressive. I'd go for it.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use it all the time. It's great. It was off about 1 stop for my needs but is easily adjusted in the settings.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have this app and use it a lot. You're right, most people have their phone with them now, so it's handy. Like any meter, it's got its own process or quirks...overall I really like it and find it accurate (although, for disclosure, I use it for B&W neg shooting)
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I only use the Pocket Light Meter app. It's so convenient and has done me good so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's accurate. But iPhones can crash and at times, I've had to restore it. I would have a back up meter. My iPhone is a lemon though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I find it works surprisingly well, as long as you're particularly careful about where you point it (as is necessary with any spot meter). While I was traveling in July, I found myself using it quite a bit when my 5-deg attachment for my Minolta Flashmeter III was giving me unreliable readings. I eventually sorted out the problem with my Flashmeter, but in the meanwhile, the Pocket Light Meter app was giving me reasonable readings.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have no complaints and it often is exactly what my camera's light meter is reading. I think is wonderful, for free no less!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use it exclusively. I have, on one occasion, found it to have gone bonkers, totally giving me whacky readings, which I was fortunate enough to catch (thanks, sunny 16 rule!). A reboot of the iPhone fixed it up.

It's great to be able to have a visual feedback of exactly *what* you're metering for... something that is not easy to get unless you have a good, and expensive spot meter. Highly recommended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, another user here too. It was out about 2/3 compared to my lunasix (my regular, big bulky meter). I've been using the pocket meter to get an idea of if/how a shot will work, but still use my 'real' meter when it comes to the shot (prefer incident in most incidents :P).

One limitation I notice regularly, is that it isn't great in low light. I shoot in low ambient light a fair bit, and tracked down a lunasix years ago for that very reason. Once dusk starts to fall, I find I can no longer find anything to meter off with the app.

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin