Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,854   Online: 935

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon FM operation for Star Trail Photography

Looking for clarification on something. Plan to use Nikon FM for night photography, where I want to leave the shutter open for a few hours to capture star rotation. The exposure meter will not be needed. If I use the film advance lever to advance the film, and cock the shutter, once I lock down the shutter button with the cable release, is it necessary to leave the film advance lever in the stand off position, where the exposure meter is still active? I would like to be able to close the advance lever to preserve battery life. Thank you in advance to anyone knowledgeable on this subject.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just take the batteries out. This will also prevent light from the LEDs from leaking past the mirror onto the film, which does happen with some cameras (not sure about the FM on that score).

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can close the advance lever, no problem. FM is fully mechanical except the exposure meter. It will open the shutter as long as you like.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like closing the advance lever is the best answer, as it will eliminate the light infiltration from the batteries as well as accomplish the ability that I was looking for. Planning to do this next week out in Mesa Verde. Should be nice and dark out there at night. I'll be mounting the FM on the tripod and hope to get some spectacular results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome Steven,

Are you a SW Colorado local?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Formerly of Golden, trapped in FL, SW CO wannabe. All photography travel done in CO, UT, NM, and AZ. Ten day photography expedition hitting all the spots possible in SW CO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sorry to here you are "trapped". Careful what you ask for, there are times this So Cal "boy" feels trapped here in SW CO, I miss the Pacific.

Golden is nice, daughter just started her third year at Mines and she loves the town, not so much the wind though.

Well do enjoy your trip.

P.S. If you are at Monument Valley on I believe Sept 13, at sunset, the west mitten will cast it's shadow on the east mitten.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin