Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,584   Online: 980

98º 28' 34" W 33º 13' 31" N 386m ( Texas )
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Determining Illuminance from Camera Exposure

Here's my first question:

I've searched through this site and found there has been extensive discussions on pre-exposure, but I have not been able to find exactly what I need. A means to calculate the Illuminance from a traditional ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture exposure setting.

Film is documented in the luminous exposure curves as density versus lux seconds.

< Embedding an example graphic produces an error >

If my pre-exposure light source produces a set exposure, how do I convert this into lux to then turn down the exposure to something specific, such as 0.0032 lux in my pre-exposure ?
    Cameras: Mamiya RB67 Pro SD fSLR, Sigma SD-14 dSLR & SA-9 fSLR, Voigtländer Bessa, Konica BigMini 302 ( Yup, I Shoot Film )
    Lenses: Mamiya 150mm SF, Sigma 28mm, 18-50mm, 28-80mm, 70-300mm, Orion 1250mm Maksutov-Cassegrain, & DIY f/176 Pinhole
    My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many meters have a table in their manual that allows conversion of light value to lux and or foot-candle.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do a google search for the SLIT rule or the SLAT rule. This shows EV combos for shutter speed and aperture and also for the combinations of ISO and light additive values.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Go to this thread.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/8...ancel-out.html

I put together a detailed explanation of exposure from the average daylight/sunlight illuminance, to the original subject, to the exposure meter, to the camera exposure, to it's placement on the film, and how it works with film speed.

I've since made it into a pdf file, but it's too large to upload here. I'll be happy to email it to anyone interested.

I've attached a sample page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Defining K, part 5b p2.jpg  
    Last edited by Stephen Benskin; 09-11-2011 at 06:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Do a google search for the SLIT rule or the SLAT rule. This shows EV combos for shutter speed and aperture and also for the combinations of ISO and light additive values.
    Interesting. since i did the google search, here is the result:

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/meter...ev_system.html

98º 28' 34" W 33º 13' 31" N 386m ( Texas )
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found the same page and it linked me to the Exposure Value article on Wikipedia that has the necessary formulas and example tables to help me derive what I need to determine pre-exposure settings.
    Cameras: Mamiya RB67 Pro SD fSLR, Sigma SD-14 dSLR & SA-9 fSLR, Voigtländer Bessa, Konica BigMini 302 ( Yup, I Shoot Film )
    Lenses: Mamiya 150mm SF, Sigma 28mm, 18-50mm, 28-80mm, 70-300mm, Orion 1250mm Maksutov-Cassegrain, & DIY f/176 Pinhole
    My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you find this one too? Doug Kerr writes some amazing material. I think he is a PhD... or some kind of genius.

dougkerr.net/pumpkin/articles/APEX.pdf

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin