Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,915   Posts: 1,521,761   Online: 1073

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak Portra 400 in tungsten and fluorescent WITHOUT filters

Hello,

I use kodak portra 400 as my go-to film when a higher speed is needed. With winter approaching I will be taking more of my pictures indoors. I know portra is a very versatile film so I am looking for tips on exposure compensation without using filters in tungsten and fluorescent lighting.

I have found that +1 works very well for tungsten light, but I am curious to what other people do.

I have never shot in fluorescent before. How should I compensate for this type of light?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For starters, fluorescent light is not constant light; it flickers at 60 Hertz. So your exposure would need to be 1/60 second or longer.

Then there is a problem with the color spectrum of fluorescent light, which exposure compensation will not address. The only answers that I know about are filtering while taking the photograph or compensation filtering in the darkroom. The former works better than the later.

If you use a strobe, the strobe illuminated areas will be properly color balanced, the rest not.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do yourself a favor and filter it, or at least use Fuji Pro 400H, which color corrects much more easily in foul light. +1 exposure helps too, in pretty much any light that is not in the 5000 to 6000 K range. That means overcast weather, cloudy weather, shade, and anything but a couple hours each side of mid day.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    The only reason I didn't want to filter it was because of the reduced speed.
    +1 seems to work perfectly for tungsten lighting. I guess for the florescent I will need a filter. What filter would you recommend? I know there are many different temps for florescent .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Umm, the filters that would be used for fluorescent or tungsten would ask you to adjust about +1 from normal, so the same adjustment as what you're already planning, right?

So speed isn't a real issue.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Umm, the filters that would be used for fluorescent or tungsten would ask you to adjust about +1 from normal, so the same adjustment as what you're already planning, right?

So speed isn't a real issue.
    Umm, for fluorescent it is about one stop, but not for tungsten. Correcting for household tungsten bulbs requires an 80A and an 81B together, and opening up 2-2/3 stops from the metered exposure.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Umm, for fluorescent it is about one stop, but not for tungsten. Correcting for household tungsten bulbs requires an 80A and an 81B together, and opening up 2-2/3 stops from the metered exposure.
    Dang, I was wrong about somthing again. Memory is so fallible.

You are absolutely right, I normally use an 80a which needs a two stop correction.

I haven't added the 81b, that's something I might have to try but a little tungsten ambiance isn't bad either.

The basic thought that I was trying to get across is that in non-standard light, for example tungsten, exposing the blue layer of a daylight film enough to be able to correct well at the enlarger requires roughly the same change of exposure with or without a filter.

The advantage of using the filter is that the other layers will not be over exposed, relatively speaking.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak Portra 400, or any other daylight balanced film in fluorescent or tungsten lighting without filters without producing a colour caste is impossible.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Kodak Portra 400, or any other daylight balanced film in fluorescent or tungsten lighting without filters without producing a colour caste is impossible.
    Yes, what he said!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok thanks everyone for the help

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin