Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,712   Online: 1267

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    My brother estimating exposure in low light by checking the dof of his own eyes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel1972 View Post
    While watching this interview of Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford done after the 30th anniversary screening of "Raiders of the lost Ark", I got very surprised to hear them talk about how Douglas Slocombe, Director of Photography on the movie, never used any lightmeter but just "guessed" the right exposure. Fascinating and awe inspiring!

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/...ders-lost-ark/

guess after a forty-year career it just comes to you like that. in film school, our prof always recommended to guess before looking for practice- trains the eye.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    My brother estimating exposure in low light by checking the dof of his own eyes.
    I count photons, myself.

Are film speed and the lens opening the only variables when exposing film in motion picture cameras?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm guessing it's easier to say you don't use a light meter than it is to correctly guess exposure every time.
    duane

Shooter
    35mm
    Folks are saying "it's a multimillion dollar movie, they'd use a meter!" but from some of the anecdotes from the guys actually making the movie, I get the impression it was more improvised, more of an adventure to make as well as to watch. They'd take the second camera crew and rush off when on location at the last second to get some new idea shot, and so forth.

It had a lot more of a low budget feel, is what I mean. It's the kind of thing where many shots are on locations or outside, and not on a set. You look at the light you have and you can tell what you need (with practice). That, coupled with just having so many years of experience -- I can totally believe he didn't use a light meter. I hope to be that good some day.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin