Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,109   Online: 1018

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moon focusing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker
    While it sounds like most of your sharpness issue may be related to hand-holding the 300mm lens, don't forget that the moon is a moving object. Motion is magnified along with the image when using a long lens.
    For a full sense of this motion: the moon subtends half a degree of arc in the sky and 'moves' at about 15 degrees per hour. The full moon will move it's own width every two minutes.
    "A friend will bail you out of jail.
    A TRUE friend will be beside you saying 'Damn! That was fun!'"

"There's more than one way to skin a cat.
    With the new Pocket Peeler(TM) from ButchCo Industries, there's 75!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    So the conclusion must be to manual focus at infinity, use a tripod and expect tack sharp slides?
    Morten
    Almost. The only variable is the focussing, whether or not infinity is at the far mechanical stop, or if the infinity mark on the lens barrel is accurate, etc. You should be able to get very close by looking in the viewfinder. If your camera has an "in focus" indicator, it should work or at least get you close enough that DOF will cover any errors (DOF at 250K miles is pretty big!)

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker
    While it sounds like most of your sharpness issue may be related to hand-holding the 300mm lens, don't forget that the moon is a moving object. Motion is magnified along with the image when using a long lens.
    From "Astrophotography for the Amateur" by Michael Covington, the rule of thumb for fixed-tripod shots of astronomical subjects:
    Longest shutter speed = 250 / Focal length in mm.
    For a 300mm lens, 1/2 second or faster will be enough to prevent motion blur of the Moon. You should be using mid-apertures (f/8 or f/11), so your shutter speeds should be 1/125 to 1/800 depending on film ISO, much faster than the 1/2" maximum.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mueller
    From "Astrophotography for the Amateur" by Michael Covington, the rule of thumb for fixed-tripod shots of astronomical subjects:
    Longest shutter speed = 250 / Focal length in mm.
    For a 300mm lens, 1/2 second or faster will be enough to prevent motion blur of the Moon. You should be using mid-apertures (f/8 or f/11), so your shutter speeds should be 1/125 to 1/800 depending on film ISO, much faster than the 1/2" maximum.
    Thank you. I go out tonight and shoot a test roll of the moon. I'll use tripod and all the kinds of focus I can. I'll shoot it at 1/125 @ f/8. Looking forward to try the advices from the replies to my question.

Greetings Morten

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "auto-focus" what the f is that? must be a miniature format thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mobtown_4x5
    You only use that when shooting cars.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mobtown_4x5
    Blah blah!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A few of the pictures from the film. No keepers. I am forced to use a tripod...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9.jpg   10.jpg  
    Last edited by modafoto; 11-10-2004 at 02:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    A few of the pictures from the film. No keepers. I am forced to use a tripod...
    Looks kind of grainy.

What developer did you use
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Amazing! I think if you kept the shutter open a little longer the moon may have spelled "modafoto"! Without the quotes of course(that would just be ridiculous )

Mike

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb_z5
    Amazing! I think if you kept the shutter open a little longer the moon may have spelled "modafoto"! Without the quotes of course(that would just be ridiculous )

Mike
    And dropping one picture and rearranging the others (15,9,10,13) spells MOON...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin