Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,688   Online: 992

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moon focusing

jss
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    A few of the pictures from the film. No keepers. I am forced to use a tripod...
    don't think i've ever seen "moonpainting" done before. :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two suggestions, Morten: longer lens, sturdy tripod.

http://www.rbarkerphoto.com/misc/Pho...stron8-600.jpg

You'll get about 1mm of moon for every 100mm of lens, so a 300mm lens is stretching the enlargement capability of even a Rodinal-developed shot. ;-)
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    Looks kind of grainy.

What developer did you use
    Acutol....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Two suggestions, Morten: longer lens, sturdy tripod.

http://www.rbarkerphoto.com/misc/Pho...stron8-600.jpg

You'll get about 1mm of moon for every 100mm of lens, so a 300mm lens is stretching the enlargement capability of even a Rodinal-developed shot. ;-)
    Hmmm...I don't have the money for a super tele....but I have fallen in love with the 1200 mm from Canon...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might try connecting with a group of astronomy enthusiasts near you, Morten, and see if you could arrange to borrow/rent one of their telescopes, or just get some shots by attending one of their sky-watch sessions. All you'd probably need to buy would be a T-adapter for your camera (Canon and Nikon are common).

The 8" Celestron, for example, is about 2000mm, producing a moon image of about 20mm on film (any format, so 35mm film is fine). As a tele lens, it's not as sharp as one might hope, but it's better than trying to enlarge a smaller image too much.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've gotten very good size moon images on 35mm by shooting through the eyepiece of a telescope. You can also remove the lens from the camera and use eyepiece projection. If its dark enough outside you dont need to worry about mounting to the telescope, I handheld it myself.
    Gary Beasley

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin