Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,360   Online: 760

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    its not you,
    scans are messed up !
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    its not you,
    scans are messed up !
    I'd agree, except to say that the combination of light sources in some of your scenes are quite challenging, so it isn't particularly surprising that an "auto" scan would mess them up.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    its not you,
    scans are messed up !
    I disagree. I think they look pretty typical for the kind of light sources in the shots.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    If you re-scan them competently, you're likely to get decent images, particularly from the second one. I don't see the blue lines you're talking about, but can you see a matching yellow streak on the negative? If not then it's a scanning artifact.
    Thank you, and thanks everyone else who has replied, lots to learn but at least people agree that the scanning is certainly bad

The blue lines are actually on the 2nd one, not the 3rd as I said, and they do appear on the negative. By the end of the film its very bad. Could this be a mechanical thing, damage caused by winding on or similar? These were shot using a Rollei 35, but my previous rolls in this camera seemed fine...

To be certain though, I think I should start off with buying some new, decent film and ignore the big pile of cheap stuff I have aquired for now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNV00023.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This could very well be mechanical damage to the film. Can you see it if you inspect the film strip closely? Perhaps it is the scanner, and then the store should refund you, shouldn't they?

I am sure the cheap film can used, just give it enough exposure and it should not be too bad.

Myself I tend to tilt my Rollei 35, you have managed to avoid that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There is also a chance that the lines is because of a dirty scanner.

Shooter
    35mm
    As Erik says, have a look at the negs closely (with a magnifier if one is handy)...if it's physical damage, like a scratch, it could be grit in the camera, or (more likely) careless handling at the lab. FWIW, I've never been totally satisified with cheapy develop-and-scan packages for either negatives or transparencies. Scanning is like printing, needs care and skill for the best results.

Cheap film is another matter (if it's in date) ....I don't think there are any bad films about, as all own-label color now comes from either Fuji or Kodak (maybe Ferrania?), and none of these companies supply rubbish. Truprint used to be from Agfa (also good), and (I believe) is now Fuji. Even if the film is an "earlier version", it should be fine with good quality processing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    As Erik says, have a look at the negs closely (with a magnifier if one is handy)...if it's physical damage, like a scratch, it could be grit in the camera, or (more likely) careless handling at the lab. FWIW, I've never been totally satisified with cheapy develop-and-scan packages for either negatives or transparencies. Scanning is like printing, needs care and skill for the best results.

Cheap film is another matter (if it's in date) ....I don't think there are any bad films about, as all own-label color now comes from either Fuji or Kodak (maybe Ferrania?), and none of these companies supply rubbish. Truprint used to be from Agfa (also good), and (I believe) is now Fuji. Even if the film is an "earlier version", it should be fine with good quality processing.
    Thanks everyone,

I had a good look at the negative and while the orange strips are just about noticeable on the negatives there is no sign of physical damage and the neg surface SEEMS flawless. It looks like the blue strips (as they appear on the scans) are a part of the image as it appears on the negative. Could this still be a case of a dirty scanner? Or maybe a bad film? As I say, previous rolls with the same camera have been fine, but I've only shot it in bright daylight until now...

Thanks for the info re cheap film, good to know. The reel I shot was completely unmarked, date wise so could well have been way out of date, it was part of a super cheap ebay bulk buy of old film and I have no idea where it came from, if it had been stored well etc. That said, I've got great results from other films of the same type from the same pack, but I did send them to a much more discerning lab...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Do the orange strips continue between the frames? If so, your camera (or maybe the lab) had a light leak.

A scanner can't really cause that effect (extra density) on the negative; worst it can do is scratch it, which would result in a thinner section which would appear darker in the images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I disagree. I think they look pretty typical for the kind of light sources in the shots.

i agree with part of what you said xldude
    yes ... it is a combination of mixed lights and
    bad scans
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin