Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,755   Online: 1083

Thread: Unusual Flaring

Shooter
    Large Format

Unusual Flaring

When I'm using my voigtlander 40mm f/1.4 (single coating) on my R3M, i'm getting quite a few frames with some unusual flaring.
    Most pictures are taken at f/1.4 or f/2. And all frames were taken in artifical light.

Where is this flaring coming from?

Strangely the flare always seems to be isolated in the same area; however not on every frame. It has happend on multiple rolls - in addition to the samples i'm showing from my latest roll.

There appears to be multiple light sources and I wish to learn how to anticipate these results. I've come up with a number of cracked theories. The most viable is a flaring from an artifical light source; but which one?

other crack theories include:
    Is it the SC lens? Do I really need to buy the MC lens instad? Is my lens bad? Lets but another lens (Burp! sorry, gas). Is there a hole in my shutter (this one was given to me from someone else. seems the most impossible)

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-hk-street004 (Small).jpg   2011-hk-street005 (Small).jpg   2011-hk-street008 (Small).jpg   2011-hk-street022 (Small).jpg   2011-hk-street029 (Small).jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd say it is a light leak over the take-up spool, closer to the bottom of the camera. Maybe from the hinge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It could be a light leak as ic-racer points out, check the foam, and try a piece of black tape over the gaps for a roll. This point is moot if you use the camera in the half case.

Also do you use a UV filter? This can cause flares to appear as well if not well multicoated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My immediate reaction was 'light leak' too. Curious it is in approx the same position on every frame, but maybe this is where the exposed frame sits after you wind on? If so - you could reload a film after exposure (or even just use a few frames). Place one frame accurately in the film gate and the next frame should show you exactly where the light leak is. Because it just looks like a little flare, it must be a very slight leak, might be tricky to find. Try placing some black PVC tape over the area (I bet it is the hinge) and shoot another film, to convince yourself it is a light leak.
    Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have had a few rolls with no problems what so ever. This is a very very strange lightleak.
    And it isn't on every frame.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lkight Leak, I have had similer problems with some of my older cameras, traced it to a light leak, check the light seals,
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dikaiosune01 View Post
    I have had a few rolls with no problems what so ever. This is a very very strange lightleak.
    And it isn't on every frame.
    It might be that you use the camera part with the ever ready bag, and part without bag, when you keep it in a larger photographic bag or when you use a tripod. So you have the light leak only when you don't use the ever ready bag.

Been there, done that.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin