Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,853   Online: 913

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Since I attended school decades before calculators became popular, I can still handle very elementary math. A small tape rule, preferably one with a metric scale, is the universal bellows extension compensation tool. When the lens is stopped down to the taking aperture, measure its entrance pupil and the film to lens distance. Divide the former into the latter to get the actual f/number.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Attached is a .bmp file containing the chart, focal lengths from 240mm thru 645mm. I printed out a nice small chart in Courier New font size 8 and it will fit perfectly in my notebook.

I am also attaching a line graph of the chart for those that prefer them.

If you want something made up for your series of lenses that you use on a particular camera, let me know. I need to know the total bellows extension for the camera and the FL of each lens.

So long as the requests don't get too big, I'll make up a chart or graph for your lenses\camera.

Thanks.

-R
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ExtChart.bmp  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Here is the line Graph.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ExtGraph.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wrote a spreadsheet to help me with the bellows ext factor. I can't attach it because it's in Excel. I could send it to you and see what you think, or I can post it to my website. I'm curious if it works. pm me if you want.

-Dorothy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss
    I wrote a spreadsheet to help me with the bellows ext factor. or I can post it to my website.
    -Dorothy
    oops...
    http://eriephoto.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Since I've been quoted here (I just now saw this thread), I would like to say that I have three good ways of determining bellows compensation (from simple to accurate):

1: Measure the extension at infinity focus using arbitrary units - finger lengths, finger widths or similar. Then measure extension when focused close, using the same units of measure. Convert the "measurements" to values similar to the f-stop sequence. A simple case could be a 180mm lens, which will have infinity focus at about 1 3/4 finger lengths or eight finger widths (my fingers). If close focus is at 11 finger widths, compensation is one stop (difference between 8 and 11, finger lengths are too difficult here but work great with a 210mm).

2: Replace arbitrary units with cm, and do the same.

3: Replace cm with mm using a proper tape measure or similar, and know exactly where the measure point (front focal node) of your lens is. Then use the quoted formula.

I have usually forgotten to bring a tape measure, so I apply the formula to finger widths or lengths by mental arithmetic (i will have neglected to bring a calculator, too).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Go here:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ws-factor.html
    Look for the article by John Cook. It's simple and very understandable.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin