Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,512   Online: 1009

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

LF: Applying Bellows Extention To Exposure

I'm reading Stroebel's "View Camera Technique" and have come to understandings that I would like to confirm as valid.

When shooting a subject greater than 10X the lens focal length (4x5 135mm = 5.1") a bellows extension factor must be applied to the camera exposure.

EXAMPLE: With a 4x5 camera and a 135mm lens, a subject greater than 50 inches from the camera will need a factor applied to either/or combined shutter speed and apature to achieve expected negative exposure.

BELLOWS FACTOR: From Ole Tjugen (oftjugen@online.no) on June 1, 2002.
    Bellows Extension Squared Divided by Lens Length Squared = Bellows factor.

In the above example, a focused image of a subject longer than 51 inches from the film plane with a bellows 6 inches extended would require a bellows factor of 1.44 or one and one-half stop increase [(6X6) 36 / (5X5) 25] = 1.44 or 1-1/2.

In your estimation are these understandings of mine correct?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bruce,
    That looks correct, apart from the 'greater than 50 inches' bit. Shouldn't that be less than 50 inches? The example you give is correct in terms of the exposure factor - but a 5" lens that is 6" from the film plane will be focussed on an object about 36" (or thereabouts) from the film plane, not 51". However, if a 5.3" (135 mm) lens was 6" from the film plane, then the object would be about 52" from the film plane, but the bellows factor would then be 1.28 - not significantly different from 1.44.

As you can see, the 10x rule roughly corresponds to a maximum error of 1/3 stop - a 'standard' limit on error - before applying the bellows factor.

I hope this makes sense.

Best,
    Helen

Images
    Math isn't my forte, I use one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=61584&is=REG
    hi!

Images
    Brian, how does that thing work?

Bruce, how goes it with the Busch?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the $10 Calumet Exposure Calculator, #CC9201 , which consists of a small square target that is placed in the scene, and a little ruler used to measure it on the GG. Quick, easy, compact, and works with any format and focal length.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Images
    It is basically a ruler that has the exposure compensation marked for various lenses. Sine I am now only going to use one lens, I will most likely just mark it on the bed of my camera.
    hi!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I cheat. I have a meter (Minolta Flash III) that allows me to take readings directly off the ground glass.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use this, http://www.salzgeber.at/disc/index.html . It's easy & free

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    Math isn't my forte, I use one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=61584&is=REG
    I've been looking for something like this, since my math skills seem to deteriorate in the field. Does it only work with 4 X 5?

Cheers,

James

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can also use this:

http://www.salzgeber.at/disc/
    Cheers!

-klm.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin