Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,458   Online: 1085

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Keep it simple.

Less really is more.

Opt for the M system myself, 2 bodies to have a backup. Easy peasy.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    F3 kit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have insurance on your cameras, check with your insurance company to see if they are covered for trips to Cuba.

If there are coverage problems in Cuba, I would take a camera I could afford to replace.

From everything I hear, Cuba is a great place to visit and doesn't have unreasonable amounts of crime, but if you need to get something official or bureaucratic done that involves Cuba, it can be "challenging".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    F3 isn't that much heavier than an M. My standard kit is an F3+20 or 28 and M4+35/2'cron. Take either or both but go wide and get close.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did most of my Cuban shots with M6/35mm. I had couple of different lenses and Hasselblad with me which I almost didn't use.
    www.flickr.com/photos/kapro
    Check the Cuban set

Edit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kapro/s...7603511200619/
    Last edited by kapro; 01-20-2012 at 02:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a spare M body take the Leica with a couple of lenses plus a spare body. The last thing you want is for the camera to die in the middle of your trip. Of course if you have a spare Nikon that becomes an option too, though a small fixed lens camera could work as a back up. Me I would take a medium format, probably a Yashicamat and a Fuji 645 as the latter weighs less than a lot of 35mm SLR's with an Oly OM1 for speed and fun shots. I can't travel with one camera even though I end up nearly using just one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamingartemis View Post
    Next comes the question of what lenses to bring hahaha
    If I was going light, using glass I currently own?

50mm f1.8D or 50mm f1.4 ai'd. Probably leave the MF glass on the F.

18-55 DX. It's a "digital" lens but covers from 24-55 focal lengths and is a very sharp, if a bit slow.

That's it.

Not to be too much of an advocate for gas, but you could always pick up an F4 for peanuts nowadays, and use your F3 as a backup with a 24mm or 28mm prime, throw in a cheap AF 50mm for the F4. You'd have compatibility with your lenses, and a more versatile camera to boot.

Then again, I never understood the Leica hype.
    Last edited by EASmithV; 01-20-2012 at 03:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A definite call for the Leicas, me thinks. I would bring my pair of M6s (one as a spare, obviously) and several of my favorite lenses: my 28mm Summicron ASPH, 35mm Summicron, 50mm Summilux ASPH and my trusty 90mm Summicron ASPH. And I would stuff the works in an F2 Domke, filling all available space with a S#*tload of E100G, E100VS, FP4, Tri-X/HP5 and Delta 3200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post

Then again, I never understood the Leica hype.
    I was shooting with NIkon whole my life until I tried Leica M6.
    Extraordinary lenses (especially the new 1.4 versions),unbelievable bokeh, small, quiet (M7 makes only very quiet "tsss" while shooting), absence of mirror-with steady hand I can use 1/8 and 1/4s with wideangles (with practice I use to shoot even 1/2s hand held) - this is no chance with mirror cameras which make noise and shake like Russian Katyusha.
    For large percentage of my shots I use "blind shooting" with camera hanging on my neck or even hidden in the pocket. I took all my shots from inside mosques this way and lot of Cuban shots as well. I tried to shoot a fire of petrol or diesel storage tank in Cuba and I made couple of good shots "from the pocket" while arrested. When Cuban police confiscated the film from me I was able to change it and gave them empty film.. .

Leica M is without doubts absolutely the best camera for street photography ever. It's not a hype, it's holy truth.
    Kapro
    P.S. I'm not paid by Leica. I had to buy all my gear and had to pay a hell of a lot of money for that..
    Last edited by kapro; 01-20-2012 at 04:18 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: adding missing word

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love my 25mm lens on my F3 so I wouldn't go without a wide (the 24mm) I my bag I also carry a 50mm (or a 55 f/3,5 mikro) and a 85mm.
    So I'd take those focallenghts or maybe a 35mm instead of the 50 (don't own a 35mm) and the matching Camera for them. A backup camera would certainly be a good thing.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin