Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,861   Online: 813

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    I get 8 days in Cuba. I've never been there before.

Should I take my M4-P w/ 35 and 50

or My F3hp. with 24mm and 50mm.
    a medium-format rabge finder with modest wide -angle and normallens
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    a medium-format rabge finder with modest wide -angle and normallens
    Yes, I would too. This sounds like the way to go, save for the problem of not having a nice rig like this.
    Alas only leica or Nikon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am reminded of what a Yosemite park ranger said when asked what a visitor should do if they only had an hour in Yosemite Valley... "I would sit on the bank of the Merced and cry."

Fortunately a week is significantly longer than an hour. Have a great trip!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was a young tad I had only a Pentax Spotmatic and a 55mm lens. Back then I knew exactly what camera to take.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you going to Cuba to take photographs or to experience the culture and people ?

Maybe it's because I'm getting older but I really don't understand the need for a backup or multiple systems on a short trip. If you're working, yeah, prudent decision but a vacation ?

Bring your Leica, take some photos (b/w to be different, how many photos of colourful old cars do we need to see ?) and if the camera gets cranky, enjoy the place without the filter of a viewfinder.

Chances are, you'll probably go back if this trip is great and then you can finesse the gear selection for that trip.

Have fun and bring lots of things to leave behind as gifts.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If it were I, I'd take my Contax G2 kit (G2 body, G1 body, 21, 28, 45, 90 lenses) and all the film I could carry. So in your shoes, I'd take the Leicas. Sure, there will be some shots you can't get with them - closeups of flowers and insects and the like - but there would be plenty of others you'd miss if you dragged along multiple camera systems and were fussing about which system to use for a given shot. The handiness of rangefinders plus the lack of a mirror letting you hand-hold in low light make them the best travel cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I travel with my camera, I don't want it to weigh me down. My advice is don't be a slave to your gear. Fatigue from carrying heavy gear can drain you of your creativity. I'm jealous. It's one of my dream destinations. Darn that Helms-Burton law!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    When I travel with my camera, I don't want it to weigh me down. My advice is don't be a slave to your gear. Fatigue from carrying heavy gear can drain you of your creativity. I'm jealous. It's one of my dream destinations. Darn that Helms-Burton law!
    I hear you, loud and clear. I'm gonna go light one way or another.

Apparently about 100,000 folks a year, from the US, go to Cuba from Canada or Mexico. Just ask to not have your passport stamped by Cuban customs and take cash, don't even try to use a credit card.

Our travel agent said that many believe Cuba will be open to the US in the very near future and if this should ever happen the prices in Cuba will skyrocket. She suggested to go now!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Coin toss.

It isn't so much about the camera as it is about seeing the shots. If you have too much gear to choose from, you'll busy your mind with thinking about what camera or lens to use, which in my opinion is counterproductive. My best results always come from sticking one lens on one camera, and force myself to work with what I've got. It allows me to let my imagination work full time, and to be ready when the moment approaches.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    Our travel agent said that many believe Cuba will be open to the US in the very near future
    So the land of the free still doesn't give you the freedom to go where you like without being sneaky about it?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin