Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,298   Online: 1095

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    If you have too much gear to choose from, you'll busy your mind with thinking about what camera or lens to use, which in my opinion is counterproductive. My best results always come from sticking one lens on one camera, and force myself to work with what I've got. It allows me to let my imagination work full time, and to be ready when the moment approaches.
    Ditto.

My favorite two MF lenses are a 50mm and a 110mm macro. You can cover a lot of ground with one wide angle and one normal lens. Real easy to carry, too.

Am I really the first person in this thread about Cuba to use the word cigar?
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    or rum
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post

Am I really the first person in this thread about Cuba to use the word cigar?
    Yes, you are. No one has mentioned rum either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    or rum
    Well, there ya are!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    a medium-format rabge finder with modest wide -angle and normallens
    Yup, couple of Mamiya 7's with the 80mm and 65mm, one body for color film, one for b/w. I'd save the most amount of space in my bags for lots of film!! Have a great trip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canadians are so lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    I hear you, loud and clear. I'm gonna go light one way or another.

Apparently about 100,000 folks a year, from the US, go to Cuba from Canada or Mexico. Just ask to not have your passport stamped by Cuban customs and take cash, don't even try to use a credit card.

Our travel agent said that many believe Cuba will be open to the US in the very near future and if this should ever happen the prices in Cuba will skyrocket. She suggested to go now!
    My world travel friend and former swim coach told me that I can travel through Canada or Mexico. He warned me that I should have my US passport stamped in Cuba or else I can be fine for traveling there. It's so stupid. But shoot a lot of pictures because as soon as it's the country is open to the Yanks, the country will be ruined by all the Starbucks and McDonalds on every corner to accommodate them. Photograph Cuba while it's still beautiful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Yup, couple of Mamiya 7's with the 80mm and 65mm, one body for color film, one for b/w. I'd save the most amount of space in my bags for lots of film!! Have a great trip.
    I have a Super Ikonta B which works like new, so I may consider this stuffed into my carry on. I'll see at the last minute if it fits in with the rest of the stuff. My Hassy cameras will be staying home I'm afraid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Photograph Cuba while it's still beautiful.
    I don't know if you've seen Robert Polidori's photographs of Havana, but the country is in ruins. Compare those images to Andrew Moore's photographs of Detroit and see if you can detect any philosophical/political affinities that may have led both cities to their present state of disaster.

The coming McDonald's/Starbucks invasion of Cuba doesn't excite anyone, but for the Cuban people, that would qualify as an upgrade. If by beautiful you mean the type of photogenic decay that photographers love, I guess it is quite beautiful. If you actually have to live there, well it sucks to be you.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    The coming McDonald's/Starbucks invasion of Cuba doesn't excite anyone, but for the Cuban people, that would qualify as an upgrade. If by beautiful you mean the type of photogenic decay that photographers love, I guess it is quite beautiful. If you actually have to live there, well it sucks to be you.
    Yes, having no McDonald's or Starbucks must really suck. I feel sorry for those Cubans.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    I get 8 days in Cuba. I've never been there before.

Should I take my M4-P w/ 35 and 50

or My F3hp. with 24mm and 50mm.
    If the choice isn't clear, then it doesn't matter which one you take. Of course, hindsight will always be 20/20

Enjoy your trip
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin