Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,090   Online: 999

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good! I had this nightmare of walking into the beer tent at a Volksfest and seeing a green-aproned teenybopper at an espresso machine instead of a buxom lady with three liters of beer in each hand! I should sleep easier now.

Bruce

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks to all for the info, this site is a terrific resource. I don't think cold is an issue - I live in Nebraska, and I was the only motorcycle rider on the interstate this morning on the way to work. It was 22F.

I am really looking forward to the visit. Any pointers on carrying film & equipment on the airlines?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rexp
    I am really looking forward to the visit. Any pointers on carrying film & equipment on the airlines?
    What type of equipment are you going to be carrying?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all for the info, this site is a terrific resource. I don't think cold is an issue - I live in Nebraska, and I was the only motorcycle rider on the interstate this morning on the way to work. It was 22F.

I always carry my film in 'carry-on' luggage, and politely but Firmly ask customs to hand check the film. Sometimes they start giving the spiel about their x-ray machines being film safe. But if you persist, they will relent. Last week an NZ customs officer was rather puzzled by my LF kit showing up in the x-ray machine. He pulled me aside, not knowing what it was, and clearly didn't know whether to believe me when I said it was a camera. :o

Heidelberg - hope you like architecture. It is absolutely beautiful there. Check out the University.
    best,
    John.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Interesting you would ask about equipment... I am using a Koni Rapid Omega (6x7). I will probably only take the 90mm and 60mm lenses and one film back. I am generally not in such a hurry that I can't take time to re-load. I plan on taking a flash, although I don't know how much use it will get. My biggest worry is about a tripod. Early morning and late evening shots will undoubtedly require one, but I am reluctant to haul the darned thing there. I have a Bogen 3021, and with the handles removed I can fit it in a reasonable space, but I wonder if it is worth the hassle. I looked up the UltraPod that has been mentioned, I suppose with some duct tape and a light pole it could work... The other item I am noodling with (and for which suggestions are very welcome) is some sort of small backpack or belt pack to carry one lens and some film.

One travel trick I have learned is to put a lens into a ziplock bag before travel. I had a screw fall out of a lens due to vibration. If it wouldn't have been in a ziplock bag, not only would the screw have been lost, I might not have noticed it was gone for quite a while.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a Bogen 3021, and with the handles removed I can fit it in a reasonable space, but I wonder if it is worth the hassle.
    Only you can decide if it is worth the effort to bring it. However, at this time of year it can get quite grey and overcast in Heidelberg, having a tripod may mean the difference between getting the shot, and not getting it. FWIW, I have a Bogen 3221W trip that I take everywhere (Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Jordan, etc.). The downside is that it is a bit heavy; I am planning on replacing it with a carbon fiber trip before my next trip.

As for film, I have not had any problem with with putting it in my handcarry. However, I generally use Fuji QuickLoads, although on my last trip I had a 50 sheet box of Efke PL100 - no problems there. The only place I have ever had trouble with film was in Melbourne, Australia. When I visited Germany in 2003 - arriving at Frankfurt - the customs people barely checked my passport and totally ignored my luggage.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin