Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,593   Posts: 1,546,087   Online: 875

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Heidelberg Germany

I am being forced to take a business trip to Heidelberg the first week of December (smile). I plan on a couple vacation days while there to wander & take photos. I was wondering if there is anyone in Heidelberg or nearby that would want to show someone from the 'middle of the States the sights?

If you are possibly interested in meeting up, please pm me & we can arrange a time & place as my travel plans firm up. My German isn't very good - I would gladly buy lunch for an interpreter.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Beware, it´s getting cold over here at the moment.... <freeeeze>

I study in Kaiserslautern, less than 100km from Heidelberg. If you care for a trip into the Pfalz -the landscape west of the rhine and close to Heidelberg -, we could meet on a weekend and shoot a few rolls. :-)

Speyer is allmost in sight and a beautiful town... the Pfalz is known for it´s wine, if you care for that - but the Pfalz wine is no rival to my home region.. the Mosel. :-)

I am not that familiar with Heidelberg, having been there a single time last year - for dinner in a brewery.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There is quite a lot to do in Heidelberg, although at this time of year it will be cold. You really don't need to travel outside the city, and language will not be an issue - there are a lot of foreign tourists there. Also, there is a Starbucks in the center of town, at the foot of the castle - so if you are a Starbucks fan, you won't miss out.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The "Altstadt" and the "Altebrucke" are very nice. If the weather cooperates the view of the city and castle from the "Philosophenweg" is outstanding. There are many wonderful sites in the town within walking distance of the town center. Good luck and have fun! As mentioned the language problem does not exist in Heidelberg.
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by harveyje
    As mentioned the language problem does not exist in Heidelberg.
    Yes. I was in Germany in 2003 and lived there from 1979 to 1981, and I don't speak more than a few words at most. Most Germans are at least knowlegeable in English.

One suggestion: if you can do without a car, then do so. Parking in Heidelberg is a pain.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was in Germany (Augsburg) from 1985 until 1992, and I loved it. I speak a fair amount of German and I very much wanted to take my wife there for a visit. Of course, now that Robert has informed me that I'll find Starbuck's there, I may have to just shoot myself instead.

PS - From 1992 to 96 I lived within a mile of you, Robert. On Manu Aloha St., half a block down from the hospital in Kailua. I was HPD. Small world, eh?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceN
    From 1992 to 96 I lived within a mile of you, Robert. On Manu Aloha St., half a block down from the hospital in Kailua. I was HPD. Small world, eh?
    You would not recognize it anymore; downtown Kailua has almost totally been rebuilt in the last 4 years. It is actually quite nice now (and Starbuck's is all over the island now).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    ...(and Starbuck's is all over the island now).

It figures. I'd like to go back there for a visit, too. I didn't use my camera nearly enough while I lived there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceN
    It figures. I'd like to go back there for a visit, too. I didn't use my camera nearly enough while I lived there.
    If it helps, I was at Queen's Beach yesterday morning, shooting the sunrise.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bruce,

wait, don´t shoot.

The company who took over the franchise on Starbucks is in deep trouble, facing bankcruptcy.. Karstadt-Quelle.

So, not all is lost. ;->
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin