Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,876   Online: 1005

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Venice (Italy)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Based on the few days I spent there in 2002, you can't miss. Everywhere you look there are amazing examples of art and architecture. Some buildings are over a thousand years old (San Marco was built around 831 IIRC) which is quite a novelty to someone living in the US where "old" is typically from the 18th century. And as ntenny notes, the city is quite walkable, it really isn't that large (although a few of the streets are pretty wet ). Unfortunately some museum and church interiors are off limits for photography.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am going to be a bit contrary here.....
    Others say to avoid the tourist spots, but there is a reason they are popular. Just go out at sun up and it is incredibly quiet. Getting pictures of shop keepers and delivery folks is great that time of day too. While the walkways are tight and a wide angle is useful, the details in the buildings is really incredible so a 120-150+tubes on your 6x6 will be great also. If there was any city I could photograph for 10 days, Venice is definitely it. Have a great time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    If you ask around you may be able to find a boat to take you to the abandoned island of Poveglia; they're not supposed to, but rumor is that it occasionally happens anyway.

-NT
    http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/55234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My favorite place. I've only shot 35mm there; using a tripod may be difficult in narrower spaces, with foot traffic coming and going. Try some of the islands like Torcello.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Door knobs and bell pulls (along with other architectural details) are on the list. Also heard of something called pissotte which could provide some interesting shots.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just got back from the little jaunt - Taking just five rolls of 120 forced me in to using the 5x4 kit much more than I expected and as a result, have over 80 sheets to process. Burano was a paradise for shooting in colour, so much so, I went back for a second day.
    Shooting with the LF ring did prove to be problematic at times. Constantly had digisnappers pointing their infernal contraptions in my direction - Most of the time, I had no objection except when doing a night time shot and being blinded by a flash.

Disappointed with the weather though - Every day was warm and sunny with barely a cloud in sight. Did find some real nice knockers though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin