Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,859   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venice (Italy)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Venice (Italy)

Off to Venice at the end of March for ten days. Got plenty of film sitting in the freezer waiting to be used.

Aside from the usual tourist traps, any suggestions for "off the beaten track" locations to shoot with a 5x4 ?

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    In ten days you can and no doubt will cover just about every street, bridge and canal in Venice - you'll find all the locations you need for yourself without a problem.

I like the areas away from the main tourist centres best and I tend to stay away from the Piazza san Marco, Rialto, Accademia, the station, Piazza le Roma, and the main rat runs between them . I also think that the little canals convey much more atmosphere than the Grand Canal.

Just a couple of thoughts.

* Don't ignore Venice at night. You won't find the exposures easy but the place is at its most evocative at night, even if it is hard to photograph well
    * As islands go, Burano is certainly more photogenic and less busy than Murano
    *I have not found Guidecca to be very interesting photographically.
    * the biggest stumbling block to good photographs IMO is bright sunlight and deep shadow. Overcast, or better yet misty, is far preferable, so if you get that don't waste it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When in some of the residential areas don't overlook some of the very old and interesting brass doorknobs.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was there this past summer and one of my favorite sights was the early morning fish market to view the day's catch that end's up on your plate later that night. It's located just accross the Rialto bridge along the grand canal.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I envy you on a trip like this and am sure you will find no shortage of views. With 5" X 4", perhaps St Mark's Square is your best bet, but who can say unless you are there.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Venice is great I get free Pizza every time (My wif's a tour guide and takes Turkish tourists around Venice)

I've shot there with 5x4, 617 and 6x6 and every time I've been shooting film Italians have been interested and complinentary. It's an expensive City but not so bad if you eat & drink in the back streets with the locals.

Have fun

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestions - I have some Portra put aside for a trip to Burano, and I dare say the Acros 100 will be useful for any nighttime shots.

I might take a 6x6 loaded with HP5+ for street shots and people watching - It would be difficult to be discrete with the 5x4 kit..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One more thing I noticed in Venice: bring wide angle lens. I usually shot with 50 and 105 on 135 format, but often I needed wider angle in Venice than in other places. Many nice locations are tight and narrow.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Venice is a great place to shoot, especially off-season when there's less people around. My tip is pretty much the same as for any other place, if you see a touristy area go the other way. Try to stay away from the clichés and look for the unusual. Maybe visit the glass factories like Murano and ask if you could do some nice 4x5 portraits of the artisans there?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B5BW0256_web.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	47384

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with pretty much everything said above. Venice is a very walkable city with a lot of quiet little corners; you can just pick a nice-looking square next to a little canal and wait around for the light to do something nice. Piazza San Marco really is very impressive in spite of its tourist credentials, but the real charm of the city is to be found elsewhere IMHO. I don't remember getting much use out of a wide angle on my trip there, but I agree with Darko that "tight and narrow" is a common theme of the place.

You may want to take something handheld as well, unless you have your LF rig well set up for extemporaneous walking-around shooting expeditions.

If you ask around you may be able to find a boat to take you to the abandoned island of Poveglia; they're not supposed to, but rumor is that it occasionally happens anyway.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin