Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,468   Posts: 1,570,827   Online: 1077

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Half Dome 2012 Lottery

The lottery for Half Dome lottery opens today http://www.recreation.gov/unifSearch...O&parkId=79064

I put my name in the hat, anyone else going to try this year?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djhopscotch View Post
    The lottery for Half Dome lottery opens today http://www.recreation.gov/unifSearch...O&parkId=79064

I put my name in the hat, anyone else going to try this year?
    Just did.

Thanks for the tip.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My boys and I hiked to the top last summer. It was my second time to the top and at 57, it most likely to be my last. It is sort of a national park Disney ride. A tough hike, to be sure, but a bit of a zoo even with the limitation of the numbers. I am glad I have done the hike, and I am glad that I had the opportunity to do it with my boys.

If I am going to put that much effort into a day hike, I'll head off on a path less traveled.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rather stick needles in my eyes than join that circus. There are other ways to "climb" Half Dome:

FYI: Ansel Adams helped put up the cables one spring, though I'm not sure he was even sure of the year (not the same cables used today).

Source: CONVERSATIONS WITH ANSEL ADAMS
    With Introductions by
    James L. Enyeart
    and
    Richard M. Leonard
    An Interview Conducted by
    Ruth Teiser and Catherine Harroun
    in 1972, 1974, and 1975

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bet it would be easier during the week like Mt. Whitney. 1/2 dome would be cake compared to what I normally do in the high country out here, I trail ran all 22 miles of Mt. Whitney in just under 7 hours a few years back...

Mountains = life, cities, premature death...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    It was my second time to the top and at 57, it most likely to be my last.
    A few years back, I took my mother up to the top - She was 72 at the time and put a few blondes out on a hen weekend to shame.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    A few years back, I took my mother up to the top - She was 72 at the time and put a few blondes out on a hen weekend to shame.
    If I do go again, I'll camp in Little Yosemite Valley or just a bit higher up. I'll take my boys and have them carry some of my camera equipment for me (probably just the 5x7 and not the 8x10). So I won't rule it out altogether, it is just that photography is more important than another trip to the top...and the view from the top is not all that unique or interesting photographically for me.

For that amount of effort, I'd rather take the 8x10 and start at Porcupine Flat and head to Indian Rock and North Dome (and back down to the Valley via Snow Creek or Yosemite Falls), or a similar hike...and on that hike I would not be seeing more than a handful of people, if that (except for the Yosemite Falls leg).

My parents hiked up to Mount Whitney at 60 years old. I have not been there yet, but getting to the top of mountains has never been a driving force for me. While backpacking in the Sierras I have done quite a bit of wandering towards the tops, sometimes getting there, most of the time not. Lying on my back in a high Sierra meadow at 11,000+ feet elevation calls to me as much as standing on the top looking down at them.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I recommend Balloon Dome instead. No lottery. No other cars at the trailhead. Think of going rim to rim at Yosmite, add a few thousand feet, PLUS climbing a dome considerably bigger than Half Dome. Bring your own cable. Other than that, about the same thing. Or if you'd like a bit
    more casual hike, there's always Tehipite Dome down on the Kings,
    with 52 miles round trip plus an even taller dome to climb. No lottery there either.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You are freaking nuts.

I got to meet you someday! And if I am nuts enough, take a serious hike with you!

Vaughn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin