Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,676   Posts: 1,481,952   Online: 1056

Shooter
    Medium Format

Morocco for 8 days: choice of film?

Hi all,

So a long-standing dream of mine is coming true at the end of this week; I'll be traveling to Morocco for 10 days on a photographic tour. I'll be flying into Casa Blanca, then to Fez, Midelt, Merzouga, Dades Valley, Ait ben Haddou, Marrakech, then back to Casa Blanca.

Aside from my 5DMk2, I'll be taking my SWC/M and Pentax 67II (I would've gone with my 2000FCW.... if my recently acquired F 110/2 were already here).

Anyway, since this is my first visit to Morocco and to that part of the world in general, and first time in the desert, too, so I was hoping I could get some opinion of what film to take.

For B&W I'm pretty much set an taking Efke IR820 Aura, Konica IR750, FP4+ and Acros 100.

Color is where I'm a bit worried; I'm usually a reversal shooter, shooting Velvia, Provia 100F, and Astia 100F. But I'm wondering if things might be super contrasty around there so that I should try color negs instead; also, I was wondering about the cool tones of Fuji reversals versus a lot of warm colors I expect to see there. Are those good combos, or should I think about some Kodak reversals?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Fuji Reala in 120. You simply can't go wrong with that film.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You will need fast film for the "zoco" photography. There is low light there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji Reala, and some Fuji Pro 400H for low light.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hmm, seems like Reala is a must I will buy a pro-pack.

Great info about the zoco. I'm guessing it won't be as high-contrast?

I have some Provia-400X which I love, but for sure I'll throw in some Pro-400H and Portra 400.

Thanks all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have a wonderful trip rawhead, and take care, I wish I was coming with you
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    E100G for chrome if you can get it, Portra 160 for the color negs.

Bring some Delta 3200 for your Pentax so you can shoot the edgy night stuff.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    Great info about the zoco. I'm guessing it won't be as high-contrast?
    90% of Zoco places will be at shadow or low bulb lighted. 100% low bulb lighted at night. So not much contrast there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Moroccan light is soft and beautiful this time of year. Merzouga will probably be one of the highlights photographically. Try to arrange a night in the 'desert' with camels etc.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd give Ektar 100 a whirl for the landscape and daylit subjects. You could use the Portra 160 as another option - the color palette is a little more muted (in a good way) and very flattering to skin tones. I'm just a little curious why you're taking three such different camera platforms with you. That would drive me nuts having to switch mental gears between them all the time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin