Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,176   Online: 1036

Shooter
    35mm

Hawaii Locations

Going on vacation to Hawaii. Four islands Oahu, Kauai. Big Island and Maui.

Interseted in historic areas, petroglyphs and old churches.

Any recommendations?

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Bruce;

Will the main vehicle be the Pride of America by any chance? The list of islands sounds awfully familiar. And, now I can definitely state that there really is a difference when you go to sea on a ship that is not painted all over in grey paint.

While on Maui, take the "Road to Hana" trip. There are a couple of stops along the way where churches meeting your description can be found. And, the van will go all the way around Haleakala; the road on the south side of the mountain has really been improved, and it is no longer a "four-wheel drive vehicles only" road. Hasegawa's General Store in Hana is worth the visit and photographs. There are lots of things to see and history to be noted.

And, when you are coming into the harbor at Lihue, Kauai, take your camera up on deck with you. Watching the Captain shoehorn that 860 foot long ship through the Nawilliwilli Channel to get into the harbor is impressive all by itself. Tug Tiger-8 may be there to help.

When you are on Oahu, and the if time is available, going to the Arizona Memorial and BB-63, the Battleship Missouri, is worth it. It is appropriate that we have the beginning and the end for us of World War II there together at Ford Island.

Enjoy;

Ralph, whose personal history with Hawaii includes 1 year, 365 days, 16 hours, and 2 minutes, spent on Oahu back in the 1950s.
    Latte Land, Washington
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This may be too late, but hopefully this will be of help to someone else, if not you.

I can only speak for Oahu, but if you're interested in historic places, definitely check out Iolani Palace and the other buildings around it downtown. Chinatown also has some nice old buildings. I second the Pearl harbor recommendation. There are a lot temples (and Christian churches that look like temples). Definitely check out Byodo-in Temple near Kaneohe.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hope this isn't too late, but on the Big Island, definitely Volcanoes National Park (petroglyphs, SW rift zone, Kilauea and Halemaumau craters, etc). You can also do some spctacular long exposures at night there...clear night skies! Also City of Refuge. On the way to the City of Refuge you'll also see signs for the Painted Church. South Point is an interesting area as well. There are a number of black sand beaches whih are interesting, as well as a green sand beach. Have fun.
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
    Hope this isn't too late, but on the Big Island, definitely Volcanoes National Park (petroglyphs, SW rift zone, Kilauea and Halemaumau craters, etc). You can also do some spctacular long exposures at night there...clear night skies! Also City of Refuge. On the way to the City of Refuge you'll also see signs for the Painted Church. South Point is an interesting area as well. There are a number of black sand beaches whih are interesting, as well as a green sand beach. Have fun.
    My recommendations as well.
    "If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

Shooter
    35mm
    All

Thanks for all your Hawaii photo recommendations. Not cruising but going to 4 different islands for sight seeing, art, photo opportunities, sun and snorkeling with my wife. We are planning on seeing all the major spots that you recommended including downtown Oahu, Pearl Harbor, Road to Hana, Haleakala National Park, Maunakea Observatory, Volcanoes National Park, etc. We also want to see some of the historical refuge areas as well as old churches. It should be a lot of fun.

Bruce

jhw

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I second Ralph's suggestion of continuing around the southern end of the island when you do Hana on Maui; old ranches, old churches; neat intersection of tropics and dry grassland, with blue below and volcano above. For petroglyphs, if you have the time, head over to west Maui; up into the mountains out of Lahaina are some cool ones, as well as along the crazy drive over the north shore. (Which is actually very photogenic...)
    Have a great trip!

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi all

Thanks for the Hawaii photo recommendations.

Yes, we plan on driving around Maui when we do the "Road to Hana". I had read that, in the past, the road was bad but now I heard it's improved and not to bad as Ralph indicated.

Also, we do plan to see the petroglyphs, up in the mountains out of Lahaina. That should be interesting.

Bruce

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin