Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,173   Online: 871

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'd wait one more day, and with luck it is due to snow again. With better luck you'd get snowed in
    and stuck, and be forced to miss the flight, and have more time to enjoy the place!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Not bent out of shape at all, another of your inaccurate statements. Simply correcting ignorance using appropriate terminology. Your characterization of an incident for which you have no reference is simply lacking in sensitivity, refinement, or intelligence (i.e., crass) to the memory of a man whose importance to the history and environment of the park in question is bettered only by Muir and, perhaps, Adams. I indicated in my post that I agreed with your advice. And once again, I do agree, someone obviously is "bent out of shape". If you care to avoid bending in the future, use due diligence before before relating matters of fact, and provide source.
    ROL-

You must be a hoot at parties!

First I "crassly" miscategorize an anecdote as a joke, now I need to use "due diligence" and have to "provide source." This is a discussion board, not a dissertation. Relax.

Apologies to everyone else for continuing this tangent on an otherwise worthy discussion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Got my Film Back!

Here's the follow up. I was waiting until I got my film back. Flew out Thursday 3/22, drove rental car to Oakhurst Best Western. Glad I had my Garmin GPS on those roads at night! Got up early Friday 3/23 and drove to Tunnel view before sunrise. I was the 2nd person there, (and the only one I saw all day with film cameras). Viewed a spectacular sunrise with constantly shifting cloud patterns. Drove down to Bridal Veil falls. Continued down the road to the chapel and Sentinel Bridge. Went to the Ahwahnee Hotel for lunch on the back patio. (What a view!) Walked around in the woods behind the hotel. Then walked the meadow by the lodge. Drove about 3 circuits in the valley, stopping at various pullouts. Finished up at Tunnel View until about 30 min prior to sunset, then had to get back to SFO for the meeting the next day. Anyway, i have been many places all over the world, and I was struck by the amazing beauty of Yosemite. I followed the forum's advice and didn't really have a rigid schedule or bucket list of photos to take. Thanks to the many posters who replied. I can certainly say, I am glad I took my cameras: Pentax 645N and Olympus XA. Almost all the other photographers there had their DSLRs snapping away with hundreds of time lapse photos. I was forced to be much more selective using film. All in all, it was a great day! The following images are all process and scan, no manipulation except for resizing:
    Kent

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6483556...7629460441880/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The most spectacular landscape I've seen is probably the Welsh mountains! If I ever got the chance to visit Yosemite, I genuinely think I'd be too overwhelmed to make any photographs, never mind decent ones.
    I'd simply have to bask in the splendor of it all. Suppose it would be like being starstruck, unable to speak due to the awe. Hope you enjoyed it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    The most spectacular landscape I've seen is probably the Welsh mountains! If I ever got the chance to visit Yosemite, I genuinely think I'd be too overwhelmed to make any photographs, never mind decent ones.
    I'd simply have to bask in the splendor of it all. Suppose it would be like being starstruck, unable to speak due to the awe. Hope you enjoyed it.
    It was a great day, and exceeded my expectations! It is a place of spectacular beauty and grandeur. I was also struck by how it changes from minute to minute, with the clouds moving in and out of each scene. I can't wait to go back for much more than one day! You really must go sometime...

Regards,
    Kent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well done, Kent. You took some beautiful photos and proved the naysayers wrong. Just because some people think nobody can do it as well as Ansel did it, or one day isn't enough to appreciate the grandeur, doesn't mean you can't make your own interpretation, take some excellent images and even enjoy your day in the meantime.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you see/photograph Bridal Falls (is that the right name?); the ones which, for a few minutes at specified times in months, catch the rays of the setting sun and resemble molten lava?

The photographic record is inspiring and has a few new and unexplored angles that give it a definite edge over the bland and unserviceable pseudo-scientific efforts of Adams so many years earlier.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Did you see/photograph Bridal Falls (is that the right name?); the ones which, for a few minutes at specified times in months, catch the rays of the setting sun and resemble molten lava?

The photographic record is inspiring and has a few new and unexplored angles that give it a definite edge over the bland and unserviceable pseudo-scientific efforts of Adams so many years earlier.
    Thanks for the comments. I did photograph Bridal Veil Falls, but it was early in the morning and the light was not optimal:

18220028.jpg by KentWebb, on Flickr
    Bridal Veil Falls. Olympus XA, Kodak BW400CN,

90800002.jpg by KentWebb, on Flickr
    Bridal Veil Falls. Pentax 645N, SMC FA 45-85mm Lens, Velvia 50

I went back later in the day, about 30 min before sunset, and it was much more colorful, however, I had used up all my film. So I snapped a quick photo on my iPhone, in much better light. I don't dare post that on this forum...
    Kent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So that's the famed Bridal Veil Falls. Other images I have seen are more of an elevated angle e.g. at the higher level midway or near the top of the falls. Where would that viewpoint be? As things are, these two images beautifully frame the falls, just that the falls are in danger of being overwhelmed by the trees. More to the point, we have a resounding endorsement of the cute little Olympus XA — it's never been a push-over and makes me go into tailspin searching for one to rekindle an old and fun affiliation. The majesty of these falls probably sums it up as an enigmatic attraction in Yosemite that attracts photographers from all around the globe.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    So that's the famed Bridal Veil Falls. Other images I have seen are more of an elevated angle e.g. at the higher level midway or near the top of the falls. Where would that viewpoint be? As things are, these two images beautifully frame the falls, just that the falls are in danger of being overwhelmed by the trees. More to the point, we have a resounding endorsement of the cute little Olympus XA — it's never been a push-over and makes me go into tailspin searching for one to rekindle an old and fun affiliation. The majesty of these falls probably sums it up as an enigmatic attraction in Yosemite that attracts photographers from all around the globe.
    These photos were taken from the parking lot at the trailhead to Bridal Veil Falls. Since I only had one day, I didn't have much time for hiking, but I will definitely be back to Yosemite!

Thanks,
    Kent

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin