Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,287   Online: 808

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Antigua, Guatemala

Traveling there for a wedding just after the Christmas deluge. Want to take some day trips and perhaps 2 day trip to Belize. Any suggestions for sites and side trips. My Spanish is very good so language is not likely to be as much of a barrier as people pegging me as US citizen is.
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't been there in years, but there are lots of old lovely churches around, many damaged from the frequent earthquakes. Lots of smaller villages in the area, and nice little markets. How are you getting there? I went by bus from Guatemala City (scary trip) and shared a seat with a pig. Possibly it's improved. Should be lots of festivals and parades around Christmas. Anyway, it's a lovely area, fairly high up so not really hot. If you speak Spanish well you won't have any trouble filling your days with things to shoot (photographically speaking). It's a coffee-growing area, but not sure when they harvest. Lots of B&B's around because of the many language schools in the area.

Unless you like big white beaches and western style resort hotels, I think you might find Belize boring by comparison. Unless of course Guatemala decides to invade it again. In any case, Belize isn't a place I'd get too far off the beaten path.

Have fun!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin