Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,201   Posts: 1,531,528   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

India - B&W or Color

Going to India (Hyderabad, Bangalore and New Dehli) for a couple weeks. Will be carrying a Perkeo II and a Plaubel Makina 67 with me throughout the trip. I typically only shoot B&W, but wonder if the subject matter lends itself more to color. If you've photographed there, would you recommend:

(1) loading the PM67 with Portra 400 (my favorite color film) and the Perkeo with TMax 400 (favorite BW film);
    (2) forgetting about color and focusing on normal vs. low light ranges by loading one with TMY2 at 320 and the other with Delta3200 at 1600;
    (3) something different (preferably not thread-jacking different).

Thanks so much for your help.

All the best,
    Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you'd regret not shooting a bit of colour in india.
    Labyrinth Photographic Printing
    121 Roman Road, Bethnal Green, London E2 0QN
    020 8709 9961
    http://www.labyrinthphotographic.co.uk/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have shot there, and I think it depends on your objective. As travel photography goes, India without colour would be senseless, but it works in B and W for documentary. If you look at my galleries you should see some examples....particularly from the I Am A Tamil series. I shot both, with B and W as my main film type. Rgds, Kal
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kal's stuff is very strong (I remember his Tamil series well) and between his view and those of friends who've travelled many times there, seems like you'd be well placed to bring some colour.

That's what I'm going with, also, as I'm headed nearby (Nepal) in just a few days!
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think if there's one country on earth you'd want to bring color film to it would be India.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys. Kal, very nice work. Colin, enjoy the trip. I hope to go to Nepal someday as well. Hopefully with much time and a 4x5 kit.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check out Guillaume Zuili's work from India in black and white. Not sure it would have been better in color.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by labyrinth photo View Post
    you'd regret not shooting a bit of colour in india.
    I don’t regret it.

here is what I imaged over there. http://www.clarkbeckerphotography.com/india/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have never been to India, I think that it would be a mistake to exclude yourself from the option of colour.

Take extra film, and let the photographic opportunities help you make your decision.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    It's difficult to see in BW and in color at the same time or switch as opportunities come by. I've done it formy Last Cuba series and it worked but it killed my focus a bit.
    Having shot exclusively kodachrome in 2009 and 2010, I can tell you it was a delight. I developedca sharp vision for colors and forms while BW called for moments instead.

For India, i think I'd go exclusively color. Look At McCurry's work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin