Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,961   Posts: 1,558,293   Online: 976

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just to add a little one to Shmoo's Los Angeles list - try the Paramount Movie Ranch. It's an "old West" looking town that is used in many movies, TV shows, commercials, ect... When there is no filming going on one usually has the town to oneself, and it is quite safe due to have Park Rangers on the premises. Let us know when your dates of arrival are firmed up, and I'm sure you will be able to find members who will be happy to play PhotoTour guide in the various locations you have listed. Time and schedule permitting I would be happy to help in anyway I can during the L.A. leg of your trip.

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

SanFrancisco

You may be fortunate enough to catch the San Francisco, say the waterfront, when the fog, doglike, creeps in and coats the city in muffle. This often will take place late in the day.

Another interesting relic of bygone days is out at the east end of 20th St., Potrero Hill, east side, where there are a collection of derelict buildings, an old machine shop, etc... where nowadays a shipyard still serves the more up to date form of oceanic travel.

I'd say find your hotel, better motel (with car?) on the west end of Lombard next to the photogenic Presidio Park.

Good luck, Freebern

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by liza
    I sincerely hope no offence was taken when I brought up the question of safety. Its not for me but my darling cameras.
    Even us Americans ask the same questions. Frankly, there are places in the city where I live that I won't go. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Noblebeast - isn't the paramount ranch where they filmed MASH? I'm getting old here.

Also, about security in LA...one can never be too secure. Lock up everything to be sure. Camera gear can be easily sold and vehicles (if stolen) are across the border in a couple of hours. After all, you will be in one of the biggest cities in the world where anything and everything happens. I have friends all over the country who laugh at me about locking doors, cars, etc. I don't mind being laughed at in South Carolina, or Utah, or Colorado. But no one laughs at me in LA...it's the norm...sadly.

S

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo
    Noblebeast - isn't the paramount ranch where they filmed MASH? I'm getting old here.
    MASH was filmed out at Malibu Creek I believe - the Twentieth Century movie ranch. Paramount Ranch was the home of Doctor Quinn, Medicine Woman.

And perhaps you are getting old, but consider the only other alternative...

And I thought of another L.A.-esque photo destination for you, Liza - Matador State Beach. On a lucky day you can be there when one of our many fine Adult Film productions are filming among the rocks and tides!
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

hotels

Hi again!
    Since all travelplans are set Im now trying to locate an affordable place to stay for a week.
    Jee, this is sooo exiting and cant wait to get on the plane.

My cousin lives in Palo Alto and without a car I think its a bit too far away from centre SF so I decided to stay in SF. Its impossible to judge quality throu an Internet picture/information so my hope is that someone here can advice regarding following choises. What I mostly need to know is about the neighbourhod, safety, communications. If someone know anything about the hotels that info would also be much appreciated. Of course there are other questions and nice to knows but I dont know what they would be, just yet.

1:st
    Sestri Hotel, North Beach, 1411 Stockton
    2:nd
    The Kenmore, Pacific Heights, 1570 Shutter St
    The Monroe, Pacific Heights, 1870 Sacramento St
    3:rd
    Luz Hotel, Downtown, 725 Geary St (a little too expensive but seem very nice with laundry facilities)

Any other suggestions on furnitured rooms within the range $ 120-200 / week are most welcome. Nice but not necessary between Golden Gate to Bay Bridge, just as near the water as possible.
    OR if anyone know someone nice person who has a spare room and availability to bathroom, coffeymachine and a laundrymachine, Im all ears.
    Time is between late evening march 22 to about lunchtime march 29.

All the best Eva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Luz is the hotel a guy from New Zealand stayed at. It is two blocks from Union Square, and you can get anywhere in the city from there. Well worth the extra money. Just at night walk East from the hotel not west. West takes you into a area of dubious night time activity.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Eva, Are you still planning to come south to the L.A, area?
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Aggie Ill call them tomorrow and check for availability.

Thomas! Time turned out to be too short on this visit and the last 2 days april 3-6 Ill have to give to my cousin. Since I have to come back next year and stay for about a month, then a week in LA and surroundings will be highly priorited.
    All the best Eva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure of you're into them, but the Hostels offer great value, and a good location. Its at the end of the cable car line, so easy to get around.
    http://www.sfhostel.org/ Take a look at the one at Fishermans Wharf. The City Centre one isn't in the greatest location safety wise, the downtown one is better.

Craig

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin