Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,743   Online: 919

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by liza
    One thing I´m specially interested in is where, when and what is Not Ok to take pictures. Here in Sweden there are very few places you´re not allowed. Another thing are the tipping and taxes. Here tip and tax are included when you pay for service or items and I´m told so is not the system “over there”.
    Liza,
    In general, the rule here for what you can and can't photograph (non-commercial use) is: If you're on public property, you can shoot anything you can see. If you're on private property, the property owner can ask you to stop or leave or can require a fee. Some places that are public have regulations arount tripod use, most often to keep someone from becoming a nusance or a danger to other pedestrians.

As for tipping/taxes/accepted practices, check out http://www.executiveplanet.com/ It really focused on helping folks do business in other cultures but there's a lot of generally useful info. The page about the US is at http://executiveplanet.com/business-...ed+States.html

Hope some of this helps,
    Dean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks!
    Craig, a private room at a hostel would be too expensive but the location seemed perfect.

Dean, perfect links, I will study them carefully.

Ha ha, why do i feel like I´m heading for a culturechock worse that ever in deepest Africa bagpacking. )

Eva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you plan on going to Alcatraz Island check out the availability of tickets before you go, or as soon as you get there. When I was down in SF a few years ago visiting relatives I managed to get one of the last rides over (that hadn't been reserved) for a couple of days. Depending on your schedule this could mean that you don't get over there. I saw a group of German tourists that were in town for the day and couldn't get over to Alcatraz at all.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the fisherman's wharf area is a high crime area. Not that you will be mugged if you are where there are a lot of people. It is not as bad as if you venture into the douth of Market or the tenderlion areas. Stay where there are people. Make sure you lock things up, and never leave you backpack on the ground just sitting near you. Alcatraz has two boat lines that go out, I can't remeber which lands on Alcatraz, but you can do a search on line to find it. Make reservations well in advance, since there can be a 10 day wait for tickets at times. Bart now goes from the airport to San Francisco. It is a great way to get around. Muni is the bus line that takes you out to the farther sections of town, and many of the stations are right above the Bart line. The busses run on most the streets. For a large city, SF if you have a map and time schedule is surpisingly easy to get around in. The cable cars are always crowded and you wait a long time for them. Thjey are fun once, but not as an everyday source of transportation.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't count out staying in Palo Alto. There are many trains every day to take you into the City. They drop you off across the street from the Muni local train lines that get you to almost any part of SF. The N-Judah line will get you all the way over to the Sunset area, a good hopping off point for Golden Gate Park, a mecca for photography and all other worthwhile things in SF. There are few places in America that remind me of European transit systems, but SF's is pretty close. It's not Boston, but it's not bad.

Best of luck,

tim in san jose (twice as big as SF and half as interesting)
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eva,

As an SF native transplanted to Stockholm, I wish you a good trip. You could spend a lifetime shooting on the streets of San Francisco, but if you have the chance to rent a car, a trip down the coast to Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel would definitely be in order. If you make it down there, a pilgrimage to Point Lobos is definitely worth it, if only to walk in some famous footsteps (i.e. Adams, Weston et al) and enjoy the nature.

Trevlig resa!
    Steve
    [FONT=Verdana]There is nothing new under the sun but there are lots of old things we don't know.
    --Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well back again after a little more than 2 weeks in Califonia.
    Just 3 words - I LOVED IT.
    A very special thanks to Will with who became the most exellent guide and friend I ever could have whished for. Another special thanks to Geary and Linda who generously took me in the last two days when cash was low and I was exhausted after the Sexton workshop. Lot of film to develope from SF, Yosemite and Carmel and hopefully some are good enought to put up in the gallery.
    Eva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eva's visit was a treat! Her enthusiasm is infectious. Or maybe it's just all the coffee....
    Either way, you're welcome back anytime! Hope you'll share some images with us soon!
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by liza
    Another special thanks to Geary and Linda who generously took me in the last two days when cash was low and I was exhausted after the Sexton workshop. Eva
    Eva was the perfect guest!! Glad that you enjoyed the visit!!

Cheers,
    Geary

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin