Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,350   Online: 843

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Visiting San Fransisco and LA first time ever

Visiting San Fransisco

I´m hopefully gonna visit San Fransisco in April for about a week. Not set but the planning is fully on.
    Well, first time in USA so I´m in for a culture shock. Propably gonna stay at my cousins (if she´s not in Sweden) but she´s not into photography and I guess her view of what´s interesting is not the same as mine. Of course I´d like to get the standard tourist pictures, Golden Gate, Alcatraz, etc but… where can a middleage lady (obviously alien and lost) with Hasselblad walk around not getting robbed if she´s looking for something different to feed her camera. The same goes for if my cousin can´t take me in. Is there any areas both nice, safe and rather central for a much limited budget.
    After that I´ll be in Carmel Valley for a week and then it´s off to Los Angeles for the last 4-6 days and the same questions as to SF goes for LA.
    Can anybody be so kind and give some suggestions?
    Best regards Eva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For morning shots of the Golden Gate Bridge, there are nice locations to shoot from at an area called Fort Point, near the southern end of the bridge. Lots of walkers and joggers in the area, so it should be pretty safe for you. Likewise at the observation area at the north end of the bridge if you are driving. You can see Alcatraz Island from either location. For afternoon shots of the bridge, I'd suggest the area to the west called Baker's Beach, which is also frequented by numerous people.

There are also ferry tours that go out to Alcatraz. You can get more information at the National Park Service Alcatraz page or at the Blue and Gold Ferry site. The Golden Gate page has additional information, as well.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Images
    Baker Beach = Clothing optional

San Francisco is pretty darn safe. China Town, North Beach, Fisherman's Wharf, etc are all safe and very photogenic.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While you're in Carmel Valley, you might as well make the short drive up to Monterey and do the 17-mile Drive around Pebble Beach and whatnot. I used to visit Carmel Valley quite often, but all of a sudden the exact locations of my favorite spots have vanished from my mind. But it is a very scenic area. -Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by liza
    Visiting San Fransisco...
    There's a pretty darn good group of APUGer's here in the Bay Area, Eva. I'll bet I'm not the only one who would be happy to show you around the area. (Aggie, are you listening??) Besides, I can always use some motivation to go out and photograph!

Let us know when you'll be here.

Cheers!
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I can probably answer any questions about the Carmel Valley/Monterey County area and make suggestions for what to shoot, depending on what your looking to see in this area. Carmel Valley is a great central location for lots of great places. Send me a PM if you are interested in suggestions.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Los Angeles, where do you begin? On the Westside of town there's the Getty Center (no tripods, incredible collection of art and photography), UCLA, Santa Monica pier, Venice Beach, Marina del Rey, UCLA, Beverly Hills...and that's for beginners. The Fairfax area has the L.A. County Museaum of Art, La Brea tarpits, museums, and all the camera stores (Samy's on Fairfax Avenue, Calumet on La Brea Avenue, and Freestyle on Sunset). Hollywood is always good for a giggle. Downtown you have Union Station, Olvera Street, USC (gag...sorry, I'm a Bruin), the Disney Concert Hall, the Central Library, Angel's Flight, and tons more. Go eastward to Pasadena and you have the Huntington Library, Descanso Gardens, the Arboretum, old Pasadena, and Cal Tech. In the South Bay there's the South Coast Botannical Gardens, L.A. Harbor, Long Beach Harbor, and the coastline around Palos Verdes. The San Fernando Valley has the studios (no cameras allowed for the most part), but it also has an exquisite Japanese garden at the Water Reclamation plant in Van Nuys...go figure.

We suffer from overabundance in L.A.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll find out the name of the hotel a member stayed at in SF. It was reasonable and very close to Union Square at the heart of down town. Most of the city is safe, but it does have it's bad areas. DO NOt GO into the Tenderloin area, no matter what time of day. If Will is up for it, I'm sure between the two of us we can show you the city and the surrounding area.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank you all for your interest. I sincerely hope no offence was taken when I brought up the question of safety. It´s not for me but my darling cameras. Why I asked is because I have a tendency to just follow my nose / curiosity when walking around and have in the past, ended up in some Well… not too healthy areas in strange citys. Nothing bad ever happened so far “touch wood” but as one is getting older… and the couriosity is still a teenager…

One thing I´m specially interested in is where, when and what is Not Ok to take pictures. Here in Sweden there are very few places you´re not allowed. Another thing are the tipping and taxes. Here tip and tax are included when you pay for service or items and I´m told so is not the system “over there”.

Every country have it´s own codes and rules, clear or hidden so if anyone would considering spending some time with me, I´d be most greatful. But I´m a very laid back, easy going, bohemian person who dislike stress so I´m not in to some grand sightsing tour. That would be a task for my cousin or nieces. Haven’t met her for about 25 years so I guess she would like that to ease up the communication. Actually, just meeting some of you, having a coffee, maybe be introduced to your favourite photographic places would really be a highlight on this journey. I´m not counting on it but it would be very, very nice.

My whole purpuse with this travel is photography from arrival to departure. If it will go as planned, time is around March 22-29 in SF, 29-April 3 in Carmel Valley and then April 3-about 7 eighter to LA or back to SF (mostly an economical decision to make).
    All the best Eva

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    No matter how many times I visit SF I'm drawn to two places. The first is Pier 7 at dawn, to catch sunrise on the Bay Bridge. The second is Alcatraz which is nicely photographable despite the fact its busy. It is best to book the latter in advance. I also like the museum of modern art (not the exhibits specifically) , the building interior which last time I was there you could photograph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin