Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,324   Online: 948

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

All roads lead to Rome.

So, I am going to Rome for a short trip, and I am not keen on the normal touristic sites except for some street photography

What would you do in Rome?
    What do Romans do in Rome?
    What is worth looking at except the 'usual suspect' places?
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Travel light, take plenty of film. Virtually all tourist spots, expect to hear "no treppiede" every time you get a tripod out (unavoidable with slow film and large format).

One odd ball places to visit is the church of Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini on the Via Veneto - Go in to the crypt (small door to the left of the church) and marvel at the creative art. No photos allowed, so make do with a postcard.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It doesn't matter where you go. Rome is fantastic.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Travel light, take plenty of film. Virtually all tourist spots, expect to hear "no treppiede" every time you get a tripod out (unavoidable with slow film and large format).
    Oops. No infrared...
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    Oops. No infrared...
    Note, I didn't say tripods were banned - On my last visit, the officials usually told me after I'd taken the shot and was in the process of packing up It is inside churches where photography is restricted or banned. The Forum, Palatine Hill, Trevi Fountain, and the Pantheon where tripods are "banned", the last having signs up if you care to look for them (which I didn't).

Rome can be fun with plenty of stuff to shoot.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was there two years ago and although I had a tripod I just didn't take it out in the city. I shot MF Delta 400 with no problems. You can't go wrong, there is an image waiting where ever you go. I carried two Hasselblads one with a 50mm and one with a150mm a couple of filters and a light meter plus film for the day in a daypack and left the rest in our hotel room.

Buy a pass for the public transportation because the metro and buses are the easiest way plus walking to get around. Don't forget to eat .... the food is great. The people are friendly and in general easy to engage in conversation and ask directions if necessary.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was there two years ago and although I had a tripod with me I didn't take it out in the city. I took two Hasselblads, one with a 50mm lens and one with a 150mm, Delta 400, a couple of filters and a light meter. I used a daypack and left the rest of my equipment in our hotel room.

Don't worry about what to shoot every where you go there are images just waiting to be made. Buy a pass for public transportation for the days you will be there. It is the easiest and fastest way to get around. The people are friendly and helpful and in general easy to engage in conversation. Don't forget to eat ... great food!

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ..and don't forget to go and shoot at night..pack some TMZ or Delta3200 and hit Trastevere, Piazza Navona, Castel Sant'Angelo area.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My sister visited Italy and told me that some people drop furniture from top of the building on to the tourists and until ambulance comes , they get everything from you lying your bald head on the the granite stones of the heavens of roman kings , queens .

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    My sister visited Italy and told me that some people drop furniture from top of the building on to the tourists and until ambulance comes , they get everything from you lying your bald head on the the granite stones of the heavens of roman kings , queens .
    What if you have long hair?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin