Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,830   Online: 902

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone!

A quick check on Orbitz and Travelosity show that the rates are about the same for Palm Springs and Ontario.

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, if you can fly pretty directly into Palm Springs, that's the place to be. Joshua Tree is kinda PS's backyard.
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noblebeast
    Well, if you can fly pretty directly into Palm Springs, that's the place to be. Joshua Tree is kinda PS's backyard.
    Sweet

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey Aggie...here's an alternative. They can go to the Joshua Tree workshop...we can go sit in the sun in Palm Springs!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo
    Hey Aggie...here's an alternative. They can go to the Joshua Tree workshop...we can go sit in the sun in Palm Springs!!!

Since my vit. D levels are non existant, I might be able to get insurance to pay or it. Ater all sun treatments are theraputic! We can get Sven to carry the drinks.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whats the dates on this one again, Southern CA in January, might be just the change I need from Montana!

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Whats the dates on this one again, Southern CA in January, might be just the change I need from Montana!

Dave
    Dave,

Saturday January 22nd through Sunday January 23rd

You can find more info at:

http://www.volquartz.com/pervolquartz/wrkshops.html

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave if you are looking for a warm place in Jan. Joshua Tree is not it. You are talking high desert in winter. Temps at night go below freezing. The closest motel is about 30 miles from where they will be. Hence Sharon and I will stay in Palm Springs.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aggie,

Freezing is not a problem, I get a little tired of the 20 below zero! 32 degrees around here is t-shirt weather!

I have actually shot at Joshua before in the middle of winter...

Dave

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Airstrips and white-out conditions

Quote Originally Posted by WarEaglemtn
    Palm Springs is the closest but there are at least five different areas in the park that have infrequent plane landings & takeoffs. Course if you use them you do attract the attention of park police. (if seen)
    Lots of small fields/strips in the area used by some when they don't want to be noticed.. if you are flying your own or a small plane.
    Having grown up in the town of Joshua Tree and wandering all over the area I was suprised to hear of these landing strips. My grandfather was a ranger there and I don't remember ever hearing him mention any landing stips in the park. And thinking about the topography there are only a few places that one could land. The Pinto Basin, The upper Covington Flat area, and some back roads on the way to Cotton Wood. There is a dry lake between JT and 29 Palms but there is an airstip right off the main road. Even closer would be the TINY 29 palms airport and 20miles away the TINY Yucca Valley airport. You still need a car once you get there. I would love to know where these 5 places are, not because I have any intention of flying in, but the geography is such a personal interest to me.

The weather in that area is very hard to predict in the fall and winter. In early Feb. 03 it was 85 and sunny. Last year for the JT workshop it was down right cold and windy (That is what I remember most about winters as a kid). Two weeks ago my parents called me to say that there was 8 inches of snow @ 5:30 in the morning, and 11 inches @ 2 PM. I wish I could have been there, but they soon closed the two northern roads into the park.

Aggie, I would not sugest staying in Palm Springs. With the "Low Desert" sprall getting worse it will take you more than an hour and half to get the workshop. And that is the Short way. There are three major motels in 29 Palms and those are only 20 min max from Jumbo Rock campground. Not to mention it is only about a 10 degree temperature difference from Joshua Tree. Not exactly sun bathing weather (unless you hail from Iceland).

I wish I could get out there for this year's workshop. Last year a handful of people from the workshop came to my house to look at photographs, have coffee and talk before going home to catch the tail-end of the super bowl. Air-fare being only $200 from Philly it might be possible if I can get the time off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin