Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,206   Online: 831

Shooter
    Medium Format

Focal length question about the Alamo in San Antonio Texas.

I am going to visit my son in San Antonio Texas. Can someone please advise me what focal length lens for a 35mm camera will be required to photograph the exterior front of the Alamo mission. Not knowing the stand-off distance of the site or the scale, I have no idea how wide of an angle lens to bring on the trip. If you have only shot the mission on medium format, this is ok as I can convert MF coverage to 35mm coverage easily.
    With thanks,
    Sam H.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AS far as I know from the film 'The Alamo' -- there are no steep cliffs to fall down nearby so just go back further until you get in what you want !
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Sam, I used an old Yashica rangefinder with a 45mm lens back in 1981 to photograph the exterior front of the Alamo. It worked out well, looked like a picture post card. Have a great trip!

Griz
    Get out and shoot!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've never been to the Alamo and most often use MF but I would imagine that a 28mm if you have one would give ample coverage. Some might want tightly composed details of just parts of a building and need longer lenses. Remember that perspective control can be an issue when photographing buildings. When I travel with MF I usually take my 50mm, 150mm and 2x. Although I have longer lenses, those keep the weight respectable and cover most of what I do. If I were driving from home I would take more and not be concerned with overhead bins. For sure take a tripod and if using B&W film some filters.

Some internet searching especially seeing photos of where you will be going would be helpful to have a lay of the land. enjoy your trip.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was recently there. The Alamo is viewable from a decent enough distance, but the more distance you have, the more people will be between you and the structure. Bring a lens between 35mm and 28mm or shoot at 24mm and get closer. Bring multiple rolls- not for the Alamo, but for the rest of the Riverwalk area. It is beautiful down there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin