Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,939   Online: 786

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Florida Panhandle. Suggestions?

I'll be visiting the Florida panhandle (Destin, FL, to be precise) for a week in July with the family. I'll be able to slip out a few mornings/afternoons to get some photography in but I'm looking for a few suggestions.

I photograph wildlife with my 35mm and landscapes with MF black and white. I'd prefer somewhere that isn't overrun with people. I don't mind walking/hiking.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions within an hour or two from the Destin area.

Shooter
    35mm
    You need a bulk loader and 200 feet film.
    My dad had a lab in Wright FL. For 15 years that was my play ground.
    Please park the car and walk out on the bridges most all have walk ways.
    Now you will hate me , night shots of boats and docks. Condos and bars in chrome at night.
    The Air Force & Navy have air museum. Sand dumbs at sunset in color or b&w.
    You will love to hate me .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks James! Any thoughts on the parks, wildlife refuge areas or anything similar?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nobody else has any recommendations?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Destin, FL.
    Probably the whitest sand of any beaches on earth.
    Study-up on shooting/metering snow scenes...the sand is that white.
    For b&w and color, take a polarizing filter...for sure.
    Some of the most beautiful sunsets in N.America are found in Florida's panhandle.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Travis,

It has been several years since I was there but I recall there is a state park nearby and there was a lake with reeds or water lilies. The beach is quite nice with an area that had small dunes and sea oats. Just go exploring. We were there for a wedding so I had very limited time and did very little photography.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys, I've been doing some advance planning so I have a few ideas in mind. Any firsthand opinions are always appreciated!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a house in the Crystal Beach area of Destin, so I have spent quite a bit of time there. Destin is wonderful. The harbor area is interesting. It is generally pretty quite in the morning, once the a.m. fishing trips have left. The area west of Destin (over the bridge) toward Forth Walton Beach along Highway 98 is all park land. Park at one of the entrances and walk to the water for good shots of the dunes.

Henderson State Park is interesting, but it will be crowded this time of year. If you travel east out of Destin along Old Highway 98,and South on 30A, there are numerous state parks. Oyster Lake is interesting. For interesting architecture, visit Seaside--where the movie "The Truman Show" was filmed.

Be sure to eat at Dewey Destins--the original one on the bay. Good food with that nice touch of smelly fish shack tossed in. The new one in the harbor is too nice.

Olin Marler is a good company for fishing trips. Red Snapper season was just extended--I'm not sure which day it ends on. I went out a few weeks ago and caught a couple of nice, big red snappers and plenty of white snappers as well.

Destin Seafoods on Highway 98 is great for fresh shrimp. If you haven't tried Red Royals, you really should. They are big shrimp which taste a bit like lobster. For best flavor, cook separately from other seafood--they tend to take on the flavor of other foods they are cooked with.

I think they have fireworks on the harbor each Thursday night.

Destin is very crowded this time of year. Try to avoid Highway 98 through town in the late afternoon.

"Shakes" is terrific for frozen treats. It is located just off 98 a block west of Tracks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow! Thanks Allen! I've not been to that part of FL before so it's all going to be new to me. The couple we're going with have spent a lot of vacations down there so they're pretty familiar with the area in a very narrow point of view (they are very much creatures of habit and won't stray from anything outside their comfort zone). Lots of good suggestions.

I was also considering are the Gulf Islands National Seashore and Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park. I have read about Seaside so that could be a good trip, too.

Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Allen provided a great list of photo ops in Destin. I'm not as familiar with that end of the Panhandle, but I know Tallahassee and Wakulla Co. quite well since I live there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin