Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,238   Online: 1075

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Kudzu Quest Location

Hello Folks

I want to photograph Kudzu and I am going to be in Atlanta and SC on business in early to mid August.
    I plan to tag on an extra couple of days to do this. I will want to get back to Toronto preferrably via Charlotte NC.

I will not be driving but plan to bus or train it around. So it is very important that I can reach the location by bus from SC and get to Charlotte to catch my flight.

I would like a location within two hours bus ride from Charlotte where I can easily get to a large location of this plant. {remember I am not driving so a cab or local transit is how I want to get to the location}
    I would require modest hotel/motel accomodation to hunker down for a couple of days.
    As it is going to be so unbelievably hot , more than my fat ass has ever experience being that I am emerging from an Igloo here in the Canadian far north , a decent watering hole and food emporium would be nice close to the man cave.
    I am not crazy , I have been on this Quest for a couple of years now .. I traveled through NC to Sandy Kings house once and had an vision during a tremendous thunderstorm. Turned out it was this Kudzu and I must capture it on film.

any help in locations that fit the criteria above would be welcome... I do not want to camp as I am coming off a course in Atlanta which forces me to wear my big boy business clothes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're looking for kudzu, anywhere here in the South would do. I live in Memphis, TN, and grew up just a few miles away in eastern Arkansas. I could show you kudzu there the likes of which you've never seen. Look for it on the sides of rural roads, especially where there are support structures for it, like trees, low-hanging power lines, or abandoned houses, barns, or silos. Good luck!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Tuckertown North Carolina - just by looking at the satelitte photos there is a lot of green around the dam... any one here know this area. looks like a possible location to me. Yes/No?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kudzu the demon vine

Bob if I recall you'll be in the Greenville SC area as well as Atlanta and Charlotte. Anywhere outside of Atlanta towards greenville or Augusta ;Travelers rest grey court outside of Greenvile or south of charlotte on 77 towards Columbia SC. are loaded with the demon vine. Public transportation is likely to be a problem it's not one of the souths strong suites. I'd consider renting a car for a day or two in any of the major cities to get out where you'll get the best shots of kudzu. And as far as the summer heat it's the price we pay for our winters.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    What do you think about Uwharrie National Forest in NC ... lots of hiking trails and places to stay listed .. anyone familiar with this location.?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob I have not been in that area in a few years but doubt there is much in the way of kudzu there. The main reason being it just gets too cold in winter, kudzu is native to the african savanna and highly drought resistant. The reason it became so prolific here is mild winters hot summers with lots of rain. With normal rainfall in the south kudzu will grow up to a foot a day. It seems to do best in the midlands and coastal regions and some up in the foothills.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Larry
    Well it was in NC just north of SC where I had these terrible visions.
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryP View Post
    Bob I have not been in that area in a few years but doubt there is much in the way of kudzu there. The main reason being it just gets too cold in winter, kudzu is native to the african savanna and highly drought resistant. The reason it became so prolific here is mild winters hot summers with lots of rain. With normal rainfall in the south kudzu will grow up to a foot a day. It seems to do best in the midlands and coastal regions and some up in the foothills.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    kind of an edit here. Turns out I had the origins of kudzu wrong ,it's originally japanese, not sure why I thought it came from the african plains.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My family took a trip from Atlanta back to Kansas when my brother went to school down there. We took historic Highway 61; a very interesting drive for sure, and tons of kudzu. Sounds like a neat project Bob... but I can only imagine exactly what it is you're up to!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Some of the scenes in the movie "Lawless" feature settings in Kudzu infested areas. I am wondering if Virginia was infested like this, in 1931.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin