Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,558   Posts: 1,545,230   Online: 883

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Road Trip!!!

In celebration of my retirement from teaching, I've decided to give myself the chance to get good and lost, or at least good and far away from what I know. I will be heading out in mid September on a drive west, taking mostly US Rt 2. Starting after an obligatory visit to the home of the Great Yellow Father in Rochester, NY, I will go up through Lake Huron to Manitoulin Island and then west and back into the States at Sault Ste Marie. From there its westward, all the way to Bellingham, WA, where my son lives. Whether I head to Southern California and then east by the canyonlands and a wide circle of the south is a matter to be decided after I have lived on the road for a few weeks. I may just tire of my own company and hightail it back, but I think not.

So... I'm up for suggestions that might kick me into a serious photo project on the way. I think I'll be taking just my Speed Graphic and a venerable Mamiya TLR with a few lenses (the nameplate on the body is long gone and I paid $10 for it at a sale, but it works fine). I am not likely to take any 35mm equipment. The 8x10 is tempting, but I think it may be too much. I have lots of 4x5 and 120 film. I will shoot all B&W film. iphone shots in color will be reference images for paintings to be completed back in the studio.

Ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michigan UP is just gorgeous, which is on your way if you're going to Sault Ste Marie. The entire coast line of each side is phenomenal with lots of places you can land your feet in the sand and photograph the grandure of the big lakes in its best form. You have to stop in Paradise, Michigan, and have a catch of the day whitefish sandwich at Brown Fisheries Fish House. It's amazing.
    The trek out to Crisp Point Lighthouse is worth it if you have the time and a car that can handle dirt roads that can be a bit rough. The area is gorgeous. Tahquamenon Falls are quite interesting too, with a nice watering hole at the top falls and nice hiking and views of the river and surrounding area.
    One of my favorite places I've ever been.

The Minnesota Lake Superior North Shore is breathtaking as well, but probably farther out of your way.

Congratulations on your retirement! Sounds like a fun adventure. If you stop by Minneapolis on the way over, give me a shout. Suzanne Revy has so many good things to say about you that I'd love to meet you in person.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations of your retirement!!! I have one more year to teach, and then maybe I'll go on an odyssey too. Have a wonderful trip, Whitey!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Drop down into Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Simply amazing places. On the way back maybe Devil's Tower? Really cool spot.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awesome trip! I'm not exactly retired but doing something similar over the next six months. If you have a chance to drive down the 101 through Oregon and Cali I highly recommend it. Craters of the Moon national park in Idaho is amazing if you're passing through that way. Yellowstone is also obviously a pretty epic spot. Do you have a blog going?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well if you want a overnight bed in Hamilton, between Buffalo and Toronto, let me know. We are the city of Waterfalls.
    http://cityofwaterfalls.ning.com/
    Regards
    Bill
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The South- East coast of Australia is nice this time of year

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm envious. Enjoy the trip! No matter which way you go, there's always something interesting to see.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whitey:

When you are in Bellingham you will be almost within shouting distance from us APUGers in south-west BC.

My wife and I visit there regularly.

You ought to consider a visit to BC as well!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Road blog!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin