Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,002   Online: 1000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Equipment selection for baseball game

Hi,

In a couple weeks I will be going to see a professional BB game. Second row seats next to the dugout. Thinking what would be the best equipment to bring.

Choices are:
    1.) Nikon FM2 with 35 or 105 lens
    2.) Mamya rb67 with 65, 90,127, or 180 lens chimney viewer
    3.) Mamya 645 with 45, 80, or 150 lens prism viewer

I have pistol grips for the MF cameras and a monopod I can bring.

Ideas? Film?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Option 1. Unless you are shooting the crowds in seats bside/behind you, forget about the 35 lens. Look around for a longer lens, like 200. Fast film too to keep the shutter speeds fast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. and bring the monopod!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    glove

Shooter
    Large Format
    Option D. Speed Graphic with big flash!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Option D. Speed Graphic with big flash!
    Hi Brad... Daytime game up in Oakland. Better be a very big flash. I could bring the 2 1/4 Speed with the grafmatic and a roll back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    glove
    A given for the second row.
    tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Professional-type photo gear is not allowed in our stadium, according to what I've heard. You might check with the local authorities. Perhaps a Canon Sure Shot...?
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    Hi Brad... Daytime game up in Oakland. Better be a very big flash. I could bring the 2 1/4 Speed with the grafmatic and a roll back.

tim in san jose
    Sounds like a great time no matter what you bring...or don't bring. Have fun!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    Professional-type photo gear is not allowed in our stadium, according to what I've heard. You might check with the local authorities. Perhaps a Canon Sure Shot...?
    Not a problem at A's home games. I've carried a 4x5 Crown Graphic and 12 film holders into an A's home game. I've also walked in with a pair of Nikon FE and a bag full of AIS nikkor glass. As long as it doesn't look like it could be used as a weapon (and, I think, as long as you look like you would not use it as a weapon?)...you're golden. They have bigger fish to fry at Oakland...honest photographers are welcomed with smiles and cheerful greetings.

(caveat: I've not been to an A's game in a couple of years - things may have changed but, some how, I doubt they have).
    Last edited by BradS; 09-02-2012 at 12:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bring a sweatshirt.
    The wind often comes blowing from the west in the afternoon and it can go from being warm to being downright frigid. I learned that lesson at my first day game there. Your seating location close to the field will help, but still...

I used to be in charge of the golf course near the airport that's now called Metropolitan Golf Links, about a mile and a half south of the Coliseum. About 3 PM the place would clear out as the wind came up. Only a few hardy types would still be out there (and me- my crew finished earlier but there was always something to take care of. I still remember the time a main broke late in the day after the wind came up and I got drenched getting to the isolation valve...)
    Last edited by lxdude; 09-02-2012 at 01:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin