Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,852   Online: 1029

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never been to Hawaii so I can't advise you about shooting there.

In general, I would not bring a lot of gear. On most trips with my wife, I bring a 35mm SLR and a couple lenses (wide, normal, and a tele if I think I'll need it), and she brings one 35mm SLR and a standard zoom. We also pack one 35mm point and shoot, usually an Olympus Stylus 100. We're both into photography so there's no argument about bringing cameras, but we agree on not bringing a ton of stuff. I buy film at my destination if possible. One time we went to the beach and I brought practically everything, Mamiya RB67, several Nikons (digital and film), all the lenses I owned, the works. Almost all of it stayed in the bags the whole week, taking up space in our tiny B&B room. I ended up shooting one roll with the RB67 and a few with the F100. After that experience, I've tried to keep the gear to a minimum.

One more thing - I do pack a light tripod whenever I travel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    KISS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    KISS
    Good advice for a honeymoon.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My best shots were 28mm lens, polarizer, and Velvia 50.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I would expect the only real light you will expect to get if you take your gear is the laser light from your wife's eyes as you attempt to take pictures.

my 2cents is take no equipment and have the time of your life, unless of course she is a photographer as well and dragging her own equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I would expect the only real light you will expect to get if you take your gear is the laser light from your wife's eyes as you attempt to take pictures.

my 2cents is take no equipment and have the time of your life, unless of course she is a photographer as well and dragging her own equipment.
    Agree with Bob, 99%.

Bring something really simple, like a Yashica T4. Point. And. Shoot. I can tell you from personal experience that focusing too much on photography while your wife is around, will quickly kill the joy - for her! Choose your time to photograph very very wisely. Include her in as many of the photographs as possible, if she doesn't mind. Really. It's your honeymoon, after all. A memory of your first adventure together as a married couple.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well, I took my 4x5 to Maui last yr, but pre-negotiated with my wife about it. I took exactly one color shot on Ektar, and paid for it dearly by having to spend most of the next day window-shopping in Lahaina. But it was exactly the one shot I wanted. And since we were staying right on the shore
    beside beautiful lava formations, I did sneak in one black and white shot too while my wife was napping. Our honeymoon twenty years before was in Kauai, and I took the 4x5 then too, shot it very
    very conservatively, just when my new bride herself was in the mood to shoot the Nikon. We're going back to Kauai this coming Spring, probably again with the 4X5, which I'll use only a few times,
    but make each shot count.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Agree with Bob, 99%.

Bring something really simple, like a Yashica T4. Point. And. Shoot. I can tell you from personal experience that focusing too much on photography while your wife is around, will quickly kill the joy - for her! Choose your time to photograph very very wisely. Include her in as many of the photographs as possible, if she doesn't mind. Really. It's your honeymoon, after all. A memory of your first adventure together as a married couple.
    i couldn't agree with more !

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As has already been said, keep it SIMPLE! Just one camera, one lens, and let it be an adjunct to your activities together, not the focus! Don't be an idiot and ruin the honeymoon by giving your camera more attention than your wife. You'll have the rest of your life together to take photo vacations alone or together; there is only one honeymoon per marriage. Don't start out your marriage by showing your wife you actually care more about something else than her.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin