Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,369   Online: 1146

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    To clarify things a bit ... about half the LF shots I did take on my honeymoon were of my wife, or
    landscape in context with key memories. Some of those shots mean quite a bit to both of us now, and are truly worth framing. I really pity all these young couples nowadays who hire some bozo with a DLSR at best, so they can get the shots on the web for their friends and family ASAP, but sacrifice both quality and image permanence in the process. But lots of pictures of just whatever would be a bad foot to get off on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    To clarify things a bit ... about half the LF shots I did take on my honeymoon were of my wife, or
    landscape in context with key memories. Some of those shots mean quite a bit to both of us now, and are truly worth framing. I really pity all these young couples nowadays who hire some bozo with a DLSR at best, so they can get the shots on the web for their friends and family ASAP, but sacrifice both quality and image permanence in the process. But lots of pictures of just whatever would be a bad foot to get off on.
    Drew,

I realize this is only one person's experience, but a good friend of mine hired their wedding photographer based on how much they liked the results. There were two photographers, each with two DSLRs. They shot 3,600 pictures of the wedding, and then they took three months to edit it all to get it ready for web upload. Let's not forget about the book and the prints. Those took even longer.
    I was there with a Mamiya 645 and a 150mm lens, shot three rolls of Delta 3200, and had a print of the main part of the ceremony ready for them the next day, a nice 11x14 in a 16x20 mat. Which of all the prints they got from their wedding do you think they display in their home? That's right, the amateur film shooter got display rights...
    I think digital can be a formidable tool, if used right.

But back on topic. I hope that OP has a wonderful trip, relaxing and adventurous, a lasting memory as a start to their new lifestyle. Photography can be very important, and I do agree with Drew that a few memorable, well made photographs can be of tremendous value later on in life; that's a very good point. But please focus on your wife, make it HER best time of her life as well. She will be thankful to you.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    3600 shots? Isn't that kinda like throwing darts at a board blindfolded, and hoping a few of them hit
    the right spot? Ha! My own wedding pictures were 50% done by myself, and 50% by my older pro
    photog brother. The smallest camera we used was 6x7. Normally he did wedding photog with a 4x5
    Linhof Technika. I prefer an 8x10. I have gotten a few wedding jobs - generally some collector insisting I do the printing myself. Never more than a dozen shots, and charged per print, just like the
    fine art business in general. Nuthin' like a 14" dagor and an 8x10 neg. Got one of those on the living
    room wall - a 16X20 of my wife snatch developed in glycin and triple toned. The thing glows, and not in the sense of a computer screen!

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    I reckon that as it is your honeymoon, you need to set the bar high early, therefore take all your cameras, all your lenses, and all the film you can manage. Then you will be set for the rest of your married life.
    I'd have to charter a separate plane.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should point out that she will almost certainly be using my D70, which she adopted fairly early on. On our first real trip she took more photos than I did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Got one of those on the living
    room wall - a 16X20 of my wife snatch developed in glycin and triple toned. The thing glows, and not in the sense of a computer screen!
    I'm sure you love showing it to visitors!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's suitable for visitors, otherwise it would be in a portfolio box and not on the wall, though some
    folks think its an etching rather than a photograph, at least until they notice how fine the detail is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I remember, I took a Mamiya M6 and a YashicaMat to Maui on our honeymoon. She had her camera too. But photography wasn't the main reason for the trip, obviously. Try to get something of each other and together. It will be appreciated!
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well, Congratulations in any event. Last month I was on a two week backpack with another photographer and we were discussing marketing options, then I started a line of jokes about how a
    good way to make a lot of money would be to set up a business offering prenup agreements to photographers and their potential brides; namely, the number of contracted shots allowed per vacation together! We're both frowned upon if taking something requiring tripod time. Unfortunately, his wife is the one who owns the law firm.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    I'm ten days from my wedding and beginning to think about packing for the honeymoon. We'll be flying to Honolulu for a couple of days, then spending a week on Maui. So I am looking for advice on what kind of film to pack and whether to pack an SLR or RF. I have 15mm to 135mm lenses in LTM, and a pretty broad range of prime Nikkors plus a few decent zooms. I will probably pack a Nikonos v kit and a Horizon 202 for specialized photos. The big questions are what kind of light I can expect in places I would want to shoot, and whether I am likely to need long lenses.
    Only a real photographer would ask a question like this.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin