Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,544   Posts: 1,544,427   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Honeymooning in Hawaii - what films and cameras to pack

I'm ten days from my wedding and beginning to think about packing for the honeymoon. We'll be flying to Honolulu for a couple of days, then spending a week on Maui. So I am looking for advice on what kind of film to pack and whether to pack an SLR or RF. I have 15mm to 135mm lenses in LTM, and a pretty broad range of prime Nikkors plus a few decent zooms. I will probably pack a Nikonos v kit and a Horizon 202 for specialized photos. The big questions are what kind of light I can expect in places I would want to shoot, and whether I am likely to need long lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I reckon that as it is your honeymoon, you need to set the bar high early, therefore take all your cameras, all your lenses, and all the film you can manage. Then you will be set for the rest of your married life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    First, I'd suggest you give wife about 95% of your attention. You aren't single any more. Second, as someone who has been to Hawaii five or six times (including honeymoon,) I'd suggest not taking piles of gear. The one thing you do NOT want to be without is a polarizer. Light is often harsh during the day, and not as warm as you're probably used to (but I live in the north.)

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    I reckon that as it is your honeymoon, you need to set the bar high early, therefore take all your cameras, all your lenses, and all the film you can manage. Then you will be set for the rest of your married life.
    Which will probably be measured in days.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suggest you give 100% of your time to your wife.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    I'm ten days from my wedding and beginning to think about packing for the honeymoon. We'll be flying to Honolulu for a couple of days, then spending a week on Maui. So I am looking for advice on what kind of film to pack and whether to pack an SLR or RF. I have 15mm to 135mm lenses in LTM, and a pretty broad range of prime Nikkors plus a few decent zooms. I will probably pack a Nikonos v kit and a Horizon 202 for specialized photos. The big questions are what kind of light I can expect in places I would want to shoot, and whether I am likely to need long lenses.
    Expect BRIGHT light in Hawaii. I would leave the long lenses at home. Wide angle will serve you better for the landscape shots. I'd opt for an SLR over a rangefinder. If you happen to need any film or camera equipment in Honolulu, go to Hawaii Photo Rental in the Kaimuki neighborhood of Honolulu. It's 10-15 minutes away from Waikiki.

Any questions about Hawaii, feel free to send me a private message. I'll do my best to provide answers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy postcards - it is your honeymoon!

A Nikonos is probably a good idea as well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Involve your wife in pictures. So you'll give her 100% of your attention

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My first trip to Hawaii, I shot a lot of Velvia, was pretty happy with the results. I used an RF, but I did not own an SLR at the time. If I did, I likely would have used it, if you're climbing hills, walking beaches etc. I'd just take the sturdiest and perhaps least expensive camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I suggest you give 100% of your time to your wife.
    I absolutly concur, if you expect the union to endure.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin