Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,037   Online: 773

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Maybe push the meet-up time out to later in the day? Between 11 and 3 isn't much good for how/what I shoot, so I'd be happy to do an arvo run down to the Island.

3pm still leaves 5-6 hours to shoot...

A good suggestion with likewise points concerning times and subject matter relative to my preferences also. What do others think of an afternoon start?
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Holga
    Works for me. Plenty of other places to explore before the gathering.
    /Frank...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like the idea of the afternoon/evening shoot.

Marc any chance of a lift?
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That should be fine Andy - neither me nor Christine are big fans of driving in the dark, but the days are longer now...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Totally agree. An afternoon-to-evening shot it is. I'm very much looking forward to it. I am having vivid dreams of a beautiful Belt of Venus rising over the Pinnacles as the sun dips down...<sigh>. Hang around for that. I can guarantee the effect is bewitching from watching it in the mid-North of South Australia.

You could have come to my rescue yesterday Marc as I sailed into trouble thick and slow through Hawthorn, Camberwell and Kew having got totally lost coming back from Noojee! Never seen such colossal traffic jams and badly behaved drivers, ever! After a 5-hour hunt, I finally got out of Melbourne by accidentally locating Worry Jerry Way and onward to home. Phew...

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    How was Noojee?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How was Noojee?

Lachlan, well, taking away the trail bike riders, dim types in 4WDs and close to indescribable quagmire that is the top campground, I would summarise the time there as good and productive in keeping with thinking about the positives. I have seen worse.

However, one thing that struck me was the apparent poor state of health, or deteriorating health, of the verdure lining either side of the footbridge — the view upstream if you will. Nothing like the beauty in March. It looked pale and gaunt; the usual green livery was gone, replaced with a jumble of wind-toppled debris strewn around the river. This was a repeating theme just about everywhere I went on the walk half-way to Toorongo Falls (I wanted to concentrate on some downstream sections below the falls). The further I walked toward Toorongo Falls, the better the colour of the environment, and everything, everything was flourishing and I had a wonderful 2.5 hours in calm, mild and slightly foggy conditions working Pentaximus and pinhole in several scenic sections.

I don't think it can be recommended as being worthy of a long drive there if you want to see healthy green rainforest; it is not extant there at the footbridge: quite ugly and lifeless would be the right description. But further up it is indeed rewarding, though still a lot of debris from recent storms.

Camping there is forgettable: the top campground had just one 4WD-based camper there doubling as a tow truck to one by one pull out hoons spewing mud all over Creation. That, trailbike riders, hoons in 4WDs driving around at night with lights on... not good. Some aspects of vandalism to infrastructure (a new gate erected to stop vehicles/trailbikes from progressing into rainforest) was noted. It's overall been turned over to the dogs. But I exposed two rolls of Velvia in perfect conditions and came home content and happy with that. Just the odd navigation error that saw me ad 3 hours to a standard 2-hour drive.

Noojee town was good though as usual so quiet that a dog could sleep on Bennett Street without a care of being clobbered, and a suitably delicious latté consumed amongst a group of Ducati riders, a stonemason too, giving a demonstration of stonewalling along the front entrance of the Red Parrot Café.

I'm over it and that drive. Now we can look forward to The Pinnacles!

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I'm envious of your proximity to both the Surf Coast and the Otways.

If I lived in, say, Pt Lonsdale, I doubt that I'd venture to Noojee over the Otways.

I wonder whether there would be the same numbers of knobs down there?

Anyway, looking forward to the CW outing. I just checked the tides for the 24th, and the low tide is at 1416hrs and high at 2119hrs. Not perfect, but better than the other way around.

I've attached a screenshot of TPE's predictions for the 24th, showing the sunset to be almost directly in line with The Pinnacles. Interesting!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woolamia Sunset.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	305.6 KB 
ID:	59117

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm envious of your proximity to both the Surf Coast and the Otways.

If I lived in, say, Pt Lonsdale, I doubt that I'd venture to Noojee over the Otways.

I wonder whether there would be the same numbers of knobs down there?

Anyway, looking forward to the CW outing. I just checked the tides for the 24th, and the low tide is at 1416hrs and high at 2119hrs. Not perfect, but better than the other way around.

I've attached a screenshot of TPE's predictions for the 24th, showing the sunset to be almost directly in line with The Pinnacles. Interesting!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woolamia Sunset.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	305.6 KB 
ID:	59117

Erm, why would you want to live in Point Lonsdale? Sleepy hollow and bloody cold most of the time (I was down there last week to photograph the sunset on sandstone, but it peetered out on me and I returned home a little crestfallen...).
    Safer to venture into the Otways! The Noojee rainforest is a remnant wet rainforest among tall regrowth forest (Noojee district has twice been razed by wildfire, in 1926 and 1939; several unusual species of ferns at Toorongo Sanctuary; much of what we see is untouched regrowth with some isolated old stands of timber close to the river). The other parts to find rainforest in those parts are around the Ada Tree and further toward Warburton. Even Woods Point has a rainforest if you look carefully.

There are hoons in the Otways: I've witnessed them en masse at Johanna Beach (New Year period), Beech Forest, Aire River (near Hopetoun Falls) and Forrest — the new brewery there attracts them like flies.

That is a strange prediction for sunset on 24th. What a treat, if the weather Gods are noyce to us. I'm after the rise of the Belt of Venus until is engorged with blue and pink (eastward, opposite the direction of the setting sun), which might be around 8.45pm by guesstimate. So there is some compass work to be carried out down there to ascertain the best position and viewpoint for this.

Isn't the granite at Pinnacles pinkish? If it is, I imagine the afterglow would send me slightly off my rocker Can't wait! But lots of little places to go in the meantime, one of which is 'my baby': Upper Sabine Falls, next Sunday, via Sabine Grand Circuit. THE place to get down and dirty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i think im going to have to give this a miss.
    my mate is having his bucks party that night.
    might have to do a solo trip there sometime soon though!
    my photo blog;
    www.jamesruff.net
    Flickr
    35mm/6x4.5/6x6/6x7/6x17/4x5

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin