Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,507   Online: 844

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt, I was at Glazer's yesterday at 1:30pm. Picked up a 50-sheet box of 11x14 and a 250-sheet box of 8x10 Ilford MGIV glossy paper. I asked where you were, but nobody seemed to know...

Oh, and it was raining.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm

The Wet Coast

I live in Vancouver, BC, and I love to visit Seattle because they get more sunny days than we do. A friend from Seattle, just yesterday, explained how easy it is to predict the weather in Seattle. If you can see Mt. Rainier, it means that it is going to rain; if you cannot see Rainier, it is raining.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhalides View Post
    If you can see Mt. Rainier, it means that it is going to rain; if you cannot see Rainier, it is raining.
    Heh, heh... Now there's a person who knows their Seattle weather.

From this evening's NWS AFD bulletin:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA
    935 PM PST SAT DEC 29 2012

CLIMATE NOTE...WITH 0.05 INCHES AT SEA-TAC TODAY AS OF 9 PM THIS WAS
    THE 27TH DAY WITH MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION THIS MONTH. THIS IS THE
    MOST DAYS WITH MEASURABLE RAIN FOR THE MONTH OF DECEMBER ON
    RECORD
    THE OLD RECORD WAS 26 DAYS IN 1971. THERE HAVE ONLY BEEN
    TWO MONTHS WITH MORE DAYS OF MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION SINCE
    RECORDS STARTED IN SEATTLE IN 1891. JANUARY 1953 AND JANUARY 2006
    HAD 28 DAYS. THERE WAS MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION THE LAST 26 DAYS OF
    THE MONTH IN JANUARY 1953 WHICH IS PART OF THE RECORD 33 STRAIGHT
    DAYS OF MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION FOR SEATTLE.

Translation: It just rained 27 out of the last 29 days in a row.

Result: Video of landslide derailing freight train just north of Seattle two weeks ago.

Oops. I mean...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 12-30-2012 at 05:36 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added dramatic video link...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Holy crap!

It's only three days after the end of summer!

HYDROLOGIC OUTLOOK
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA
    316 PM PDT WED SEP 25 2013

...HEAVY RAIN AT TIMES OVER THE OLYMPIC MOUNTAINS AND THE NORTH
    AND CENTRAL CASCADES THIS WEEKEND COULD LEAD TO SOME MINOR RIVER
    FLOODING BY EARLY NEXT WEEK.

A SERIES OF INCREASINGLY WET WEATHER SYSTEMS WILL MOVE THROUGH THE
    AREA FRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT. THE FIRST SYSTEM WILL MOVE
    THROUGH ON FRIDAY. WHILE THIS FRONT WILL NOT BE ESPECIALLY
    WET...IT WILL PRIME AREA RIVERS FOR WETTER SYSTEMS OVER THE WEEKEND.

TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE OVER THE
    OLYMPIC MOUNTAINS AND NORTH CASCADES FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH
    SUNDAY NIGHT. 3 TO 6 INCHES OF RAIN IS POSSIBLE OVER THE CENTRAL
    CASCADES DURING THIS SAME TIME.

AT THE SAME TIME...SNOW LEVELS WILL RISE TO 7000 TO 8000 FEET
    FRIDAY AND REMAIN HIGH UNTIL EARLY NEXT WEEK.

WHILE THIS IS NOT A CLASSIC ATMOSPHERIC RIVER PATTERN...THE
    CUMULATIVE EFFECT OF THESE WET FRONTS COULD CAUSE SOME RIVERS TO
    REACH FLOOD STAGE. THE SKOKOMISH RIVER IN MASON COUNTY WOULD BE
    THE FIRST RIVER WITH A FLOOD THREAT...POSSIBLY REACHING FLOOD
    STAGE AS EARLY AS SATURDAY NIGHT. OTHER RIVERS FLOWING OFF THE
    OLYMPICS AND CASCADES COULD ALSO APPROACH OR REACH FLOOD STAGE BY
    SUNDAY NIGHT OR MONDAY.

Here we go again... Back into the tunnel until next July...

Update of broken link from last year's final post:
    Video of landslide derailing freight train just north of Seattle in December, 2012.
    (Note the beautifully articulated clinical observation by the photographer at 1:28.)

Ken

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Heh, the Skok floods even when a mouse takes a leak in it. Very shallow riverbed. It probably won't be any worse than last Sunday's storm. That said, I wish it hadn't been such a drop-off when autumn decided to show up.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, John. But jeez... It's only been three days. You guys in Duvall. You know your time is coming again. Can you say Lake Snoqualmie River?

I had a job a few years back on Snoqualmie Ridge up past the falls. Commuted daily from Monroe. It was three years of tap dancing with floods and snowstorms on Hwy 203 to Fall City, then up the hill past the falls to the ridge.

In 2009 I was headed home and was the final vehicle allowed to pass before they shut down the highway. By the time I got to the Tolt River in Carnation the water was flowing 3-inches deep over the road, and I was doing exactly what they warn drivers not to do in a flood. With those embankment drop-offs on both sides of the road, I could barely see the painted lines. It was like driving across a lake. I kept thinking I would miss a turn, plunge off the edge, flip over, and drown.

That was the same series of storms where this happened...

I love the Pacific Northwest weather. It's so... Darwinian.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 09-26-2013 at 01:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look on the bright side, in only eight months we will start to have a few nice days.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey - it was a beautiful sunny day here today. And we are bound to have at least half a dozen more before next summer.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My advice about Seattle is always the same...get on the interstate and head south. When you see signs for San Francisco, get off, grab a beer and relax. For the uninitiated, that big yellow thing in the sky is what we call the "sun."

I kid. I love Seattle and the Pacific NW...
    "Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewDunn View Post
    My advice about Seattle is always the same...get on the interstate and head south. When you see signs for San Francisco, get off, grab a beer and relax. For the uninitiated, that big yellow thing in the sky is what we call the "sun."
    Many years ago at a different job I distinctly remember walking out of the building headed home for the day when I heard a young lady behind me muttering sarcastically under her breath to no one in particular,

"So THAT'S what stars look like up close..."

Ken

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin